Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Korea 79-80 and 82-83. First tour had an older woman who took care of all the cleaning and laundry in the BOQ, second tour, had a guy who took care of everything. Never a problem. Think it was around $25 to $35 a month. But the real treat was the lady who managed the "business girls" in town. One day, all of us on the battalion staff were were in the commanders office when the 8th Army Chaplain (0-6) was visiting. She came to the office wanting to talk to the battalion commander. She pushed her way past the secretary into the office and invited the battalion commander to the opening ceremony for a new VD clinic in the "vill". After asking him, she turned to the Chaplain and asked him if he would like to come also. He said yes. Even now, years and years later, I look for churches where the priest is a former military chaplain. I believe they relate to real life better than those who never served. And memories of nights in the "vill" still bring a smile to my face.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stars-n-bars View Post
    Hey, Griff you ever go into Kim village or drink any of that Cherry Sloe Gin? Ever go to Naha City and see a flight of 52's taking off for the Nam?
    Allow me to make a correction. It was Kin Village, outside the gate at Camp Hansen. The B52's took off from Kadena. Kin Village was a cool place in 68 &69. B.C. St. & Gate 2 St. were the best. A taxi ride from Koza B.C. St. to Kin Village was $3.25. If you rode the local bus, it was 28 cents. A small, standard bottle of Orion Beer was 70 cents. A large bottle was $1.00. A short time was $4.00. A long time was $8.00.

Bob Hope 1968 Christmas show.

Short time girl.

Agent Orange was stored and used on Okinawa in the 1960's and early 1970's. I only say this, because some of you may have health problems that you may not be able to explain. The VA and DOD refuse to acknowledge that fact, even though 1 agent orange claim was awarded.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/author/int-jon_mitchell/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Agent...098692?fref=ts

Let me also add the the first time I saw a SR71 Black Bird (Habu) was in 1968. At first I thought it was w UFO,lol. Saw them take off and land at Kadena. The take off was spectacular. As soon as the plane lifted off the runway the pilot put the nose straight up and it was gone in a flash.

B52's were loaded beyond specs and had just enough fuel to get airborne and refuel with an awaiting KC135. Technically they weren't suppose to be able to get off the ground. In November 1968 one didn't.

Regards

Ox
    Last edited by Oxmix; 06-02-2013 at 12:33.

Well Oxmix, you and I saw the same USO show, I just saw it in Korea.

I wasn't much more than a kid when I was in Korea, and I won't say I didn't like being waited on by servants, not what folks think of as the usual military gig, right. However, looking back on it, if I knew today what I know then, and was appointed king, the whole "houseboy" "Mama San" system would have been abolished. Soldiers really should make their own beds, sweep their own floors and polish their own brass and footwear.
    Last edited by Art; 06-02-2013 at 05:11.

4. Default

Actually I didn't get to go inside the stadium to see the show. Our section drew straws. I wasn't one of the lucky ones. I did however detour on my way to service a Nike site and stop outside the stadium for a bit and listen to the show. A friend was lucky enough go in, see the show and take quite a few pictures.

We also had house boys. Considering what the average Okinawan made in wages, these guys were rich. The senior house boy was a Japanese soldier on Okinawa during the war. Because he surrendered he felt he could never go home to Japan. I became friends with the house boys, and as far as I know I was the only guy that they ever invited to eat lunch with them.

If you need any alterations Yoko occupied a small space in the barracks. She and Mamasan also took in the laundry.

This was by far better than anything the Company Mess Sgt. could ever cook up. I looked forward to eating C Rations. I knew they wouldn't make me sick. I couldn't say that for what the Mess Sgt. cooked up. Probably the only thing that kept me from dying from malnutrition was being able to eat at various mess facilities on the Rock and going to the commissary on payday and buying canned goods to keep in my locker so I had something to eat when the mess hall had no food. Why did we have no food? The Mess Sgt. and the CO sold our rations on the black market. I use to watch him fill up his station wagon with our food and drive off. He and the mess Sgt were eventually caught.

She was special. I truly hope she's had a good life.

Regards

Ox

I think part of the house keeping deal was to support the masses of folks our effort and presence displaced.
    Lots of things those folks did for a living ceased to exist when we set up major areas. This included destroying their farms and homes in order to deny assets for the enemy.
    I think allowing these DPS was a kind on lopsided compensation. There was a downside to this as well.
    I was in the Army when troops did KP-they did away with that even in the states. Created a lot of basic wage jobs in often depressedareas of military installations.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michaelp; 06-03-2013 at 08:44. Reason: sp

RVN 67-68. Pretty far north. No camp mama san, no house boy. We kept our hut clean, baged our own laundry and did our own starching.

Yeah, a 12 year old son and a child support check.