Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Clark S Campbell ....Update.

over the last few weeks, i havnt heard from Clark, no returns to my email, or phone calls,..
    so i did some searching, on a social network, i found his family, and his son was kind enough to send me this email...

Subject: Clark
    Chuck, I'm sorry to say that my dad passed away on April 9th of this year. He was suffering fibrosis of the lungs and decided to enter hospice. He was very alert up until he needed the pain medications. He went swiftly as was his plan.
    Thanks for your concern.

Mark

Clark will be missed, and left a positive mark on the 1903 Collectors world...was always open, had a smile and a handshake, had a great love for these old rifles.
    loved his friends, and family, and held them dear.
    iv met and talked with Clark many times over the years, first met him through my dad.
    im greatful for the books he wrote, and the info he shared..
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

That's a shame. RIP Clark.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

I like Clark so much, he always answered my questions, and critiqued my rifles. I bought his book, and Ive still got my e-mails from him. He will be missed!
    He hadnt answered my last e-mail either. I wondered.....
    Andy in CT
    Last edited by Garandy; 04-24-2011 at 11:26.

Very sorry to hear the tragic news.

Chuck, Thanks for the update.

DW
    Very Senior Member OFC

5. Default

I was sorry to hear of Mr. Clark Campbell’s passing. I had some correspondence with him after his first book, “The ’03 Springfield’’ was published-circa 1957. I made some small contributions to him for his second book and was mentioned in his second book “The ’03 Springfields” circa 1971. I still have some handwritten correspondence from him. My last contact with him was in 1971.
    RIP Clark
    Last edited by Cosine26; 04-24-2011 at 01:58. Reason: spelling error

6. Default

I only knew the man by what he shared, thanks Mr. Cambell, Damn, this always feels bad...... thank you uncle chuck for keeping herd on this little family you are all so valuble.
    Bart.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by black bart View Post
    i only knew the man by what he shared, thanks mr. Cambell, damn, this always feels bad...... Thank you uncle chuck for keeping herd on this little family you are all so valuble.
    Bart.
    "ditto"

I'm very sorry to hear this. It's a great loss for the 03 community.
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

I am also sorry to hear of Clark Campbell's passing. Along with William Brophy and a couple of others, he was a true pioneer in the serious study of the M1903. His first M1903 book came out in 1957, when most of us were still in elementary school, diapers, or hadn't been born yet. He perservered over the years, bringing one update out after another. We are greatly in his debt for all his work - and our community will be the poorer for his passing.

R.I.P. !!!
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 04-24-2011 at 05:23.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

I am very deeply saddened to read of Clark's passing.

When I gained first interest in the M1903 Springfield back in the late 1970's, the first edition of Clark's book was out of print. I soon found that Ray Riling Arms Book Co. in Philadelphia was reprinting Clark's book in a small red hardbound format. I promptly ordered one and read it many times cover-to-cover. As subsequent editions of Clark's book were published, I promptly acquired copies. I was deeply honored when Clark asked permission to grace the cover of his last book with one of my photographs, a permission I readily granted.

Clark and I have spoken together many times over the phone and have exchanged many letters and much information. Although we disagreed on many subjects pertaining to the M1903 rifles, I never lost my deep abiding respect and appreciation for him and his work.

I extend my deepest and sincere condolences to his family and loved ones. Their loss is our loss.

We stand on his shoulders.

J.B.