Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Question on 1941 Marine sniper

Were all the 1941 sniper rifles SA? Was there a certain ser. no. range?
    Was the 1941 the only distinctly "Marine" sniper?
    I am building a faux 1941 as I can gather the knowledge and parts to do so.
    Unfortunately(?) what I have is a d&t'ed RIA receiver to use for my project. Since it is a faux '41 that should be "sniper match legal", if not correct.
    I have 2 barrels to choose from for this project, an NOS HS 03 barrel and an 11-42 SA that looks unfired but with a deep recess on the crown.
    Since the '41 requires d&t of the barrel which one would you all recommend to d&t? I also have a couple of bolts to choose from, but what would be the expected bolt for a '41?
    Thanks for your help and info.
    Regards,
    Mickey

My understanding is they were NM conditioned rifles. Marine A5 may have a specific serial number range but they were high number SA receivers. Barrel dates were from the 30's. The bolts were NS with rifle serial number electro penciled on the body.

Regards the barrel to tap, the HS 03 barrels are still available for sale (for some good money), would the 11-42 SA barrel have value to a collector as they are more scarce? You are building a faux sniper so the "correctness" of either is of less concern than shooting ability. Will the crown defect affect your groups? Werent there some QC issues concerning the SA 03 barrels early in the war? Arent the HS barrels supposed to be good shooters?

My dream rifle - I wish you luck with your build. Have you found a Unertl? What scope are you using?
    Last edited by pmclaine; 04-03-2011 at 05:02.

Phil,
    Check your PM's, you have two from me.
    I did think that HS barrels were well regarded for accuracy. I did not know about SA quality issues. The SA crown looks even, just deep. I can't get an exact reading on the MW gage though.
    I have decided to go with the Leatherwood Malcome 6x scope on my project.
    The bolt I am thinking of using has a NS on top of the handle root with the Greek (?) 4 digit number etched in the same spot.
    I have a nice "C" stock on the way for it.
    Since my receiver is RIA and I recently received a NOS blued RIA lower band I decided to put it on.
    I have a beat up RIA bayo band I am going to try to re-do and nitre blue...we'll have to see.
    The trigger guard and floor plate I believe to both be NOS, got a NOS in the grease butt swivel, and the course checkered milled buttplate w/door I just picked up.
    A lot is comming together, but it still will only be a faux sniper. Thankfully most of the parts have been reasonable so total cost is a little high, but affordable.
    Mickey

Sounds great. I think the leatherwood would be more representative of a WWI Marine sniper and your RIA receiver would go with that period. That would call for a GG straight stock though and you would lose the shootability of your C stock.

If I built my focus would be more concerned with shootability than historical accuracy but I would want it to somewhat mimic the original - say from a distance of 3 yards it would look legit. The coarse plate is very desireable but I would not be concerned if my front band had a U or R stamped on it and the receiver was something else. My local shop has a 12x Unertl in the $600 range I thought of buying as a start to what you are well on the way to completing. The pope rib would need to be repaired and I would be looking at an add $400 to get it shootable. That said it seems like you have some good parts sources and good luck - this project must be fun to hunt for.
    Last edited by pmclaine; 04-03-2011 at 02:05.

5. Default

The 1941 A1 snipers were made from existing team NM (all SA) rifles in stock plus others built by PD to NM specs. They were indeed all HN's.

jt

6. Default

Hello....I am building an M1941 Sniper clone, too...from parts. I bought a 1932 serial numbered SA complete action on Ebay and have 2 1932 dated NM barrels at home (Always wondered what I would do with them). I think that the MW is good enough on those for this project. I also have a couple of NS marked bolts to choose from. A NM coarse buttplate and a couple of "C" stocks (both pre-war and Keystone), but haven;t decided which I will use as the handguard will need to be shaved. I bought a vintage Lyman 8X Targetspot scope on GB, but am still searching for a Unertl or a Lyman 5A. I considered the Leatherwood, myself. Once I get everything together, I will have my gunsmith attach the barrel and check headspace as well as drill/tap for the scope bases. YES!...it is a fun project!

7. Default

To be legal in the vintage sniper match the rifle must have a "C" stock and an external adjustable scope of 6x or 8x. I would not use the Malcom as the rear micrometer is not very precise. I would hold off until I found a Unertl 8X or maybe a Lyman Junior Target in 8X, if I wanted the rifle to shoot as good as possible. The H.S. barrels are very nice barrels go with it. USMC assembled rifles had N.S. or J1 marked bolts. The earlier Team rifles that were converted could have just about anything. If you want it to be a real accurate shooter, have a match chamber reamed with a short, tight throat for match bullets. Coarse milled steel butt plates are a real plus and can improve your scores as they don't slide around on the shoudler like the smooth or fine checkered butt plates do. I have quite a few heavy checkered butt plates but they are very expensive. You might find one on ebay for a cheaper price.

Would not a WW1 USMC Sniper rifle (w/ Winchester A5) have been equipped with a straight stock?

Regards,
    Jim

9. Default

Jim, That's an excellent point!!! Here's what the CMP on-line rule book has;

United States:
    .30-06 cal. 1941A1 Springfield (C stock,
    Standard 1903 sights with Unertl type
    scope on Unertl type mounts and bases)

BUT! It lists the 'Legal' scopes as;

Winchester A5, Winchester B5, Winchester
    B3
    USMC original issue: Unertl 8X
    Sniper Telescope
    Non-issue scopes: Unertl, Lyman or
    Fekker 6X or 8X scope with up to a
    1.5” objective; Leatherwood Malcolm
    3X or 6X
    Note: All scopes must have external
    adjustment and no recoil spring.

So, since the Winchester, Lyman and Fecker scopes are allowable why wouldn't a Finger Grooved stock be?? Especially since a F.G. stock is clearly pictured in Senich's book Marine Corp Sniper on page 84. The picture was taken on Okinawa in May 1945.

Quote Originally Posted by jgaynor View Post
    Would not a WW1 USMC Sniper rifle (w/ Winchester A5) have been equipped with a straight stock?

Regards,
    Jim

!903Shooter,
    You caught me It was a rhetorical question.

Regards,
    Jim