Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Redfield 3x9 with a serial number inscribed on the name plate???

1. Default

The stud on the power ring is different than my early commercial accu-range mine has the flat top caps and dull gloss finish but the stud is taller and rounded on the end.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 03-28-2011 at 10:44.

Johnny, your pics are a great reference tool as to the hallmarks of the first generation...compare your pics with the scope in question and you'll see a clear distinction between generations...(turret writing, shorter knob, taller caps, etc)..I repaired a couple of these and the internals are quite different as well...second generations have a single erector cell & power change unit that comes out in your hand to service, while the first gen. is a bit more complex..Both have a special locking ring I had to fabricate to even let me get in there...You'll notice you can unscrew the rear (eyepiece) bell only so far and it comes to a complete halt..thats where the tool comes in....Once you've seen both scopes person, the differences are crystal clear....Just FYI, these 1st & 2nd gen. redfield scopes are all steel & brass inside...very well built...Don't know how the later (1980's) ones are..I'm guessing theres gotta be some plastic in there to cut costs like Weaver did, unfortunately...

3. Question

Dan, Do you repair Redfields ? I have a wideview that is wide on both ends. The recticle is broke and the tombstone is turned sideways. Otherwise its in very good condition. I have a Kollamorgan Bearcub that has the flat turret caps. It is a 2 3/4 fixed power. It has a grey finish.

Stars;

I have repaired them for myself...But, my forte is the older scopes, like Unertls, Lymans, Winchesters, Feckers, etc...Basically non- Nitrogen-filled scopes, with not-too-complex innards...Believe it or not, one of the most complex scopes to rebuild is the Weaver 330 /M73B1 scopes...They look like $10 .22 rifle scopes, but they are a nightmare of spacers & decrepit paper washers and lenses....Again, I stick to crosshairs & re-laminating the lenses... I have no way of recharging these Redfields/Kollmorgans, so if that's an issue, I'm the wrong guy. I can fix reticles and as long as the tombstone is still attached and not bouncing around, it's probably still salvageable...Many times guys send me old scopes that someone else has tried to fix, and they royally messed it up..I usually send them back..as they are beyond my fixing should parts be missing and/or broken....Just so you know, if the tombstone is sideways, someone was probably in there....

email me and we'll talk further..

ds1911@verizon.net

5. Default

S-n-B

It has all the correct earmarks of a second Gen scope.
    1. The finish appears to be matte black, (All the Air force rifles had matte black scopes).
    2. The Reticle is correct.
    3. The markings are correct.
    4. The caps are right.

As for the SN, there ARE M700 Snipers that were sold to agencies other than the Marines, Air force, US Marshals service, some Sheriffs departments Many state fish and game departments.
    No one, probably not even Remington can say what serials were used for M700 Snipers, all we know for sure is all the first contract Marine M700 Sniper rifles had 1st Gen scopes that were green.

That all being said, your number is in the wrong location for known scopes, some one probably tried to make a "Correct" rifle.
    All the Marine rifles I have examined had the entire S/N on the scope, all the Air Force rifles had the last 4 on the scope.

The following pics are from 2 known Air Force rifles (mfg 1969 serials are 6 Million range and are within 3 numbers) and a Marine rifle (late 67, 300K range).

Marty
    Badger Ordnance
    Last edited by Badgerord; 03-28-2011 at 08:08.

6. Default

How is the Adj. Turret block marked on the green scope pictured?

7. Thumbs up

Thanks fella's for all the info. Here are a few more better focused pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Default

Pic of green scope

Marty
    Badger Ordnance
    Last edited by Badgerord; 03-28-2011 at 08:05.

9. Default

Thanks very cool Marty!!!!
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 03-28-2011 at 11:08.

super cool, Marty.....