Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thumbs up Redfield 3x9 with a serial number inscribed on the name plate???

Could this have been done to match an M40? The scope has a matte finish that looks almost plum colored. It has the range finding tombstone.

2. Default

The number is 551953 electro-penciled on it.

Can you post a few pictures?

The quick answer, yes, it might
    I have seen pictures of the rifles serial number electro penciled on the base, and I think this was also done to some scopes, however, I am not absolutely sure about this.
    Some pictures would be great.
    However, as far as I know, all the M40 were in the 200-300 thousand range.
    Last edited by 30cal_Fun; 03-26-2011 at 01:35.
    Gun control: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

Which Generation scope? But 30cal's right on this.....It wouldn't be the rifle's serial number....Redfield scopes themselves were serialed, but factory roll-stamped, and NOT electropenciled, and most always had a letter prefix, like F223443, etc....The USMC tombstone should go from 200 to 600 yds....and NOT have a Duplex reticle..It's funny to go on Ebay and see all the "Redfield M40 Sniperscopes"....Then looking at the reticle and its a Duplex....Redfield made some commercial Accurange tombstones that stopped at 450 yds., I believe....These were not USMC scopes...
    Last edited by Dan in NY; 03-26-2011 at 07:58.

6. Question

I think my scope is an early one. The adjustment power ring says Redfield Gunsite Co. It has the 600 yd. tombstone and the recticle is a medium crosshair with the stadia lines above the + to use the range finding tombstone. I'll try to post some pictures of it tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

7. Question

Here are a few pic's. No other numbers on the scope except the eletro-penciled one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The turret caps are the pointy ones like the later, commercial accurange scopes, I have a scope that looks exactly like yours (right down to the "Redfield Gunsite Co") except that it is gloss black, making it a commercial model probably made around 1975.

I think your scope is indeed an early model, for two reasons:
    One: I know that the early ones were a matte black / annodized kind of colour (which in time could very well turn plum). All the later ones were gloss black.
    Two: Your reticle is a thin crosshair type (where the width of the lines don't change along the way). As far as I know all the later, commercial ones had a duplex crosshair where only the center of the crosshair lines where thin.

However, there are two reasons why I think that your scope isn't an M40 one:
    One: As said, the serial number doesn't match the serial number range of the original M40's.
    Two: All the first and second generation scopes that went on the M40's had low, flat turret caps, not the higher pointy ones like yours (and mine).

(Again) However, This is as far as my limited knowledge stretches, if anything is incorrect, please correct me.
    If I can take a guess, I think your scope is an early accurange scope probably made in the late 60's that was electro penciled by the owner who might, MIGHT have had a government job.
    Good luck with your search, if you find anything, let me know, I am as interested in the history of this scope as you.
    Last edited by 30cal_Fun; 03-28-2011 at 12:39. Reason: bad grammar
    Gun control: The theory that people who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder will obey a law which prohibits them from owning a firearm.

9. Default

Thanks 30cal., I've got this one setting a Remington 700P in a wooden plain stock from the factory. It performs as well as I can shoot.

Looks to be a second generation Redfield Accurange version...Your pics are a bit blurry, so it's hard to guage the finish on the tube, which would set it apart from a commercial second generation...Could be ex-military, as that's what they looked like, but that electro-penciled serial is a mystery to me, and would most likely be a detractor to a purist should you ever sell it...USMC electroplenciled the last 4 digits or the weapons serial on the tube forward of the front ring, on the left side...Its all in Senich's book. Either way, it's a cool scope and if it is a true matte finish second generation, its a rare bird...
    Last edited by Dan in NY; 03-28-2011 at 06:02.