Thread: 1904 Vergueiro

Question 1904 Vergueiro

Can anyone tell me if the bottom metal from a 1904 Vergueiro will fit a 98 Mauser action? Can it be done with little or no modification to action or stock? Thanks.

what do you mean by "bottom metal"? And why not just get the correct parts?

3. Default

If you mean the magazine floor plate alone, the answer is no. The Vergueiro has a hinged floorplate.

But if you mean the whole trigger guard and magazine, the answer is yes, but you will have to trim some wood ahead of the magazine box to allow for the slightly different shape of the Vergueiro trigger guard to accommodate the floorplate latch.

The reverse, a 98 trigger guard in a Vergueiro, should fit OK.

(Note that not all Mauser 98 trigger guards are the same; some wartime ones differ and the Yugo 48, not a true 98, is also different.)

Jim
    Last edited by Jim K.; 10-15-2009 at 12:00.

Thanks Jim. I did mean trigger guard. I've got a sporterized 1912 Steyr that I'd like to add a hinged floor plate to but don't want to take a second mortgage out on my house. I'm glad to hear that the only modification may be the stock. As long as all the holes line up and the height of the magazine box is right I guess one will work. Thanks again.