Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gandydancer Guest

Default 1939 Mod.98 German 8mm Mauser

This is a WWII bring back from Europe. My father and his brother worked together to bring back stuff after their WWII military service in Africa, Italy, and Germany. This arm saw some action so the woodwork in dinged up. The bore looks good with little if any pitting. The gun functions smoothly and looks shootable. Ser.#36xx . Some parts have "g" stamped under the SerNo . The chamber and other parts have a Phoenix stamping. Some parts are stamped with eagle on a circle enclosing a swastika over "26". The chamber is stamped 7,9 also 243 over 1939 also 393-38- Do (with 2 dots over the o). The SerNo stamped on the bolt and chamber and all other parts all match. Smaller parts like screw heads have the last 2 digits of SerNo and eagle over "26". No numbers are scratched out or stamped over. Anyone having any info about where this rifle was made and what all the stampings mean and what they are for please respond. It will be appreciated. Any good value estimate will also be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gandydancer; 03-07-2011 at 06:47.

You need to use a darker background. Your camera exposed the background perfectly, but underexposed the rifle.
    The 243 code is for Mauser Borgsigwalde, the the "phoenix" is the Weimar style eagle firing proof, the 7,9 is the bore diameter, and the g is the letter suffix of the serial number.
    The lower band is on backwards, as the loop for the sling should be on the left side.

3. Default

If your looking to sell it or trade it, I'd be interested. Thanks

Gandydancer Guest

Thanks for the info JP. It is very helpful. I took some pics on a darker background and they look much better. I learn new stuff even at 61.Thanks.

Gandydancer Guest

I'm looking to sell Kleanbore. Unless you have a Ruger P90 to trade. I have no good estimate of my Mod.98 worth.

The wood should have acceptance marks and the serial number on the bottom between the pistol grip and the buttplate. Also, the handguard and the stock should be numbered inside ahead of the rear sight. In the new pictures I can see the H for Heer (Army) marking.

7. Default

Gandydancer
    Check your PM's. Message sent to you.

Nice rifle! PM sent

If all matched (including parts hidden under the wood) as you say and in the condition its in, worth is minimum of 7-800 bucks. Depending how bad someone wants it! WW11 bring back, all matching K98k's have mostly disappeared into collections years ago. They seldom come up for sale except at auctions where they go for big bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    If all matched (including parts hidden under the wood) as you say and in the condition its in, worth is minimum of 7-800 bucks. Depending how bad someone wants it! WW11 bring back, all matching K98k's have mostly disappeared into collections years ago. They seldom come up for sale except at auctions where they go for big bucks!
    I was thinking 12-1800 although the Borsigwalde is not as desirable as Oberdforf.