Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Wow, over 1000 reads! I am surprised that there aren't more replies though.More replies coming in now THANK YOU ALL ! Nick
    Last edited by Nick Riviezzo; 05-16-2011 at 01:19. Reason: updating numbers

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Riviezzo View Post
    Wow, nearly 500 reads! I am surprised that there aren't more replies though. Thanks for the views. Nick
    Well, in fairness to us it was a pretty intense experience you related. I can't think of what we'd reply with other than "note to self: don't piss off Nick."

I'm glad he came out ok. That is if anyone really comes out of that ok. Kind of changes your view of what's important I'd say.

5mad farmers,That was not "Nicks story" it was Bobs. Nicks story has yet to be published and may not be. But what I was talking about for replies are those like the early ones here. Who was in the hospital, mustering out, in training, already "in country" etc. I was/am trying to draw out stories of some of the fellas here. Their experiences may never be shared if they don't come forward. It, like our earlier vets stories,is history and it is dying fast. For instance, the Huey co-pilot that I sent up the hoist that day got out of the Army just after that experience and went to Univ. Of Northern Colorado to get his Masters Degree. The sad part is,my fiancee was getting her Masters there at the same time and I was stationed at Ft.Carson about one hour away. I didn't know that until this past Jan. Another opportunity lost, more's the pity.BTW; your note to self should be,"don't scare the heck out of Nick" scout helicopter pilots are not too stabile to begin with! Ha! Regards, Nick
    Last edited by Nick Riviezzo; 04-10-2011 at 04:33.

On 11 feb, 1971 I was home, having left Quang Tri Province and the 1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) in late Sept 1970. Otherwise I would have been there with you, as the Red Devils were tasked with opening up Highway 9 past Khe Sahn to the Laotian border. The Engineer unit you were covering was most likely A company, 7th engineers, 1st BDE, 5th Inf. I was in the 75th Support Battalion, my hootch was not far from the airstrip on Quang Tri Combat Base.
    Welcome Home, my freind.
    Last edited by Big_Al; 04-20-2011 at 10:28.

Welcome home yourself Big Al, we were there at the same time. Yes, we were ,at that time, part of the Fifth Division.Thank you for your input, it's the only way we can piece together the little pieces of everyones memorys to paint a full picture. Thanks for YOUR service during a trying and deadly time. Nick
    Last edited by Nick Riviezzo; 09-05-2011 at 12:46. Reason: memory lapse leading to erroneous statement

Nick, do you belong to The Society Of The Fifth Division? If not, come join us. Look around the Fifth's site, there's a lot there. http://www.societyofthefifthdivison.com/
    Thank you for your kind words.
    Last edited by Big_Al; 04-20-2011 at 05:05.

I didn't know there was one, Thanks for the tip. Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Riviezzo View Post
    I didn't know there was one, Thanks for the tip. Nick
    OOOPS! Sorry about the link not working, I made a misspelling. Try http://www.societyofthefifthdivision.com/
    In our recent newsletter it was mentioned that we need to reach out to all who wore the Red Diamond in war and peace and let them know about the Society. We are the oldest military unit organization with a continued existance from it's founding in 1919 to the present day. We have held a reunion/convention annually from the beginning, every Labor Day weekend. It is held at various locations around the country, this year in Alexandria, Virginia. Next year it will be in Atlanta.
    I have been a member for a number of years, and as a military history buff it was a true pleasure to meet, talk to, and become friends with the WWII guys. sadly, each year there are fewer that are able to attend.
    Dues are only $15 per year, which is a steal compared to other veterans organizations. There is a quarterly newsletter included.
    Last edited by Big_Al; 04-21-2011 at 06:43.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
    Nick, do you belong to The Society Of The Fifth Division? If not, come join us. Look around the Fifth's site, there's a lot there. http://www.societyofthefifthdivison.com/[/url] Thank you for your kind words.
    I guess I am eligable to join the 5.Div Assoc. I came to Carson in May 68 with the 69th Inf Bde, Ks Army NG. We became the defacto 4th Bde of the 5.ID to cover for the 1st Bde in VN.
    I didn't stick around long - reenlisted for SF in Sept and left for Ft Brag in Okt 68.
    Sarge
    Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281.AHC Assoc & CAF

Coming back from my last tour in RVN [1970-1971] I went to Carson but it was 4TH div. then. Nick