Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

cwartyman,

Yes, Sheik Isa AB 7 Dec 90 - 12 Apr 91. Was with the 152d Tactical Recon Group/35th Tactical Fighter Wing.

Jim

2. Default

Baghdad, August 2005.
    Brigade getting ready to return CONUS, connexs loaded to bursting.

Bn Supply dumpster filled with New in the white box 30 rd Mags, Surefire IR weapon lights, Nomex gloves, odd KAC M4 rail system new in the box.

Considering I was never issued a Surefire I made sure to grab one. We also had 85 EO Techs and couldnt find a Active Duty unit to take them, but we werent supposed to bring them back. 2 days before we go home the SF took them . Everything else was trashed. I had 500 rds of M118LR and could not find anyone who would take it.

Made me sick

built new buildings & repaved runway at Glenview NAS 2yrs before closing it!!!!

4. Default

Jim,
    Did you get to see the Bob Hope USO tour when they came to see us? That was one of the best days I had over there and will never forget that they all gave up their time to come their and entertain us for a couple hours and take our minds off what everyone knew was going to happen sooner or later. I used to get a kick out of seeing your guys RF4's thundering down the runway and being in awe as the the pressure wave hit me never had that happen with our 18's. Too bad we didnt finish the job in 91.
    Mack
    hitler, stalin and mao were progressives in their time

Quote Originally Posted by RCK View Post
    While at Knox in 1962 just of Basic we were training for small engine repair. All range generators were sent in for replacement of the fire extinguishers mounted on the frame. We mounted the new extinguishers and stacked the old "unused" ones in a pile. We checked what to do with the old ones and were told to lay them out on the pavement in a liong line. Later that day a tank was driven back and forth over the old extinguishers. Lots of flat scrap metal!
    Believe or not, it is cheaper to throw them away than it is to refurbish them, go figure.

Mack,

I did get to see the Bob Hope show, had a pretty good spot just to the right of the stage. Never realized Bob used cue cards until then. Yeah the RF4 made a lot of noise, my hearing's still shot from that deployment. I did like seeing the A6s take off, carrying 12 CBUs. Hell of an airplane.

You're right about not finishing it, damn shame. Everyone stateside got squeamish after the MAG 11 Massacre on the road out of Kuwait City. Another two days and we could have ended the whole mess once and for all. My oldest son, who was 4 when I deployed to DS, has done two tours in Iraq, and is currently deployed in Afghanistan (so much for 'dwell' time). Breaks my heart that our kids our now fighting the same enemy we did, 20 years on.

Jim

7. Default

Jim,
    The A-6's were the only A/C at Sheik Isa that carried napalm while we were there. I also got to see alot of the hud tapes from the war and yes MAG-11 really tore up the road to Basra. Got to watch a HUD tape from a mission our C.O. was on where he spotted a SCUD being pushed into a firehouse he pickled 2 MK83's onto the firehouse and got great secondaries captured on the strike cam. Remember the Patriots going off that night? I woke up to the sound of rain hitting the tent but its wasnt rain it was the shrapnel from both missiles. Brooke Shields was so attractive in person as was the girl from Head of the Class. I think us stopping the advance had more to due with the pressure the Egyptians and Syrians put on Bush than us killing everything that was leaving Kuwait. They didnt want Saddam out of power and only signed on to the coalition so they could say they stood up for a fellow arab nation. Unfortunately Bush kowtowed to the UN and to the arabs . His son had bigger brass ones than he did and wasnt interested in what the UN had to say at all. Now we find our kids and nieces and nephews are still over there and we are getting involved in a civil war in Libya(where we have no reason to be) and Nobama wont persue any of it to the full measure he will only end up getting more of our boys killed and end up with nothing to show for it.
    Mack

8. Default

Jim,
    Please when you speak to your son give him my thanks for his service and going to places where he should not have to have gone if we were allowed to do it right the first time.
    Mack
    Last edited by cwartyman; 03-21-2011 at 11:39. Reason: double post

in the early seventies I had to take a hammer to several hundred M14 mags and put them in the trash, My AZ NG unit was rearming with M16's.

Will do Mack. Still have pieces of the SCUD in my footlocker.

Jim