Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Your 11 General Orders

Were you of the generation that memorized the 11 general orders? I was in ROTC at the time. I think they dumbed them down to 3 general orders about 1968, which was rather a damning indictment of the U.S. Educational System.

The next time I see one of these guys with a "Homeless Vet" sign I think I'm going to crack my window, hold up a dollar, and ask him, "What's your First General Order?" If he gets anywhere close to it he gets the dollar. If a blank look, no dollar.

"I will guard everything within the limits of my post and quit my post only when properly relieved"

Funny how one can retrieve such info from the far reaches of one's grey matter.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    "I will guard everything within the limits of my post and quit my post only when properly relieved"

Funny how one can retrieve such info from the far reaches of one's grey matter.
    Yeah, I guess the education system failed early, I never did memorize all of those.

As a young MP in the late 70's, I was stuck for a time as a guard at a Nike-Hercules site in W.Germany. The "guard knowledge" we had to retain was quite dizzying. I spent hours trying to memorize it all. Funny thing...as soon as I left and went thru Out-Processing, they told me to forget everything I knew. They literally said that to me! At the time, I thought to myself, isn't this the kind of stuff you hear in the movies? It was laughable! Mike
    Last edited by Michael Tompkins; 01-30-2011 at 01:09.

I think Griff was from "way back". 67-70, we still had 10 General Orders. IIRC, the 11th was "Shoot all hostiles on sight."
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

It is in fact, 11 general orders and I think the USMC still uses them. The 11th is:

"TO BE ESPECIALLY WATCHFUL AT NIGHT, AND DURING THE TIME FOR CHALLENGING, TO CHALLENGE ALL PERSONS ON OR NEAR MY POST, AND ALLOW NO ONE TO PASS WITHOUT PROPER AUTHORITY."
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 01-30-2011 at 04:57.

7. Default

1st general order is to take charge of this post and all government property in view and yes in 1988 we were required to memorize them down in glorious Parris Island besides the 11 th the other long one was to receive, obey and pass on to the sentry who relieves me all orders from the commanding officer, officer of the day, officers and non commissioned officers of the guard only. I believe that was the 6th.
    Mack
    Last edited by cwartyman; 01-30-2011 at 05:24.
    hitler, stalin and mao were progressives in their time

The 11 General Orders for a Sentry: (Navy)

1. To take charge of this post and all government property in view.

2. To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert, and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.

3. To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.

4. To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guard house than my own.

5. To quit my post only when properly relieved.

6. To receive, obey and pass on to the sentry who relieves me, all orders from the Commanding Officer, Command Duty Officer, Officer of the Deck, and Officers and Petty Officers of the Watch only.

7. To talk to no one except in the line of duty.

8. To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.

9. To call the Officer of the Deck in any case not covered by instructions.

10. To salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.

11. To be especially watchful at night, and, during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post and to allow no one to pass without proper authority.

They were a little different for a Marine and a LOT different for the Army.
    "A generation which ignores history has no past and no future." - Jean Boden

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on."
    -- Robert Frost

Thanks for the reminder. There were 11. Just another case of CRS.

We did have a 'catch-all' in the army. "I'll walk my post from flank to flank, and take no crap from any rank!"
    Last edited by Dan Shapiro; 01-30-2011 at 07:38.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

While guarding a ammo dump at Ft. Bliss in the early 70's. We had only one general order, Shoot too kill all who entered our area of patrol if they failed to correctly give the correct call sign. There was a nuke in storage. An for the life of me I could never remember all the general orders, spent a lot of time on KP in basic.