Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DO you folks remember

Many years ago some people were saying you should etch your name and social security number on your guns so they could be identified? Not only did the perp get your gun, but he also got your identification!

I once bought a gun like that. Fortunately the crap could be polished off and reblued. BUT If i had been a crook, it would have been a license to steal

From time to time I see an example of a fine pistol for sale with the social security number of some previous owner etched on the frame. Not only does it look bad, but it puts a serious dent in the value of the piece. I once saw a guy try to sell his deceased father's Colt collection at a dealer in Greenville, SC. I thought the dealer was going to have a coronary when he picked up the fine examples of early SAA's and saw where the son had engraved the father's social security number on each gun. The son said he was afraid the guns would get stolen and this same 'fear' lead him to sell the guns. Seems his father had told him they were very valuable and to be careful of thieves. I'll bet the father was spinning in his grave when his son took the electro pencil to each of his treasures.

If you MUST mark your property your driver's license number is a much better choice (with an indicator of the state of issue of course).
    The cops have much more ready access to the DL info.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Many years ago some people were saying you should etch your name and social security number on your guns so they could be identified? Not only did the perp get your gun, but he also got your identification!

I once bought a gun like that. Fortunately the crap could be polished off and reblued. BUT If i had been a crook, it would have been a license to steal
    I once drove a long ways to an estate auction that had a Colt revolver that I wanted.When I saw they had done that to it I turned around and drove back home.What a waste.

I bought a pistol at auction and under the grip was the guys name and SS number.

6. Default

I once bought a rifle via online auction. The seller did indicate there was a "shiny spot" in the finish under the receiver. Turns out that the piece was fine, as advertised, and purchased for a fair price. When I subsequently scrutinized the "shiny spot," it was evident that someone's etched (not electro-penciled luckily) initials had been removed. It was virtually pristine other than that, and I use it as a shooter. Have never had a need/desire to reblue the area.

I honestly can't understand the motivation/logic that compels people to destroy otherwise fine firearms. I've always subscribed to the philosophy "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I'm so anal, that hopefully some (or all) of my arms will hopefully someday be displayed in a museum as specimens that are "as-manufactured."

I do have a revolver with a guy's name scratched on it, but in this case...... Lt. Spowart R.E.
    And another with two names scratched on the side, both Scots Lieutenants going by the names.
    I consider these scratches a plus.
    The Royal Engineer did survive the war as his name was on the Army list after the war.

(WW1 in both cases)

Most of this was done in the 60's. Until then, most people left their houses unlocked, at least in Texas. In the mid to late 60's, early 70's, there was a meteoric rise in home burglaries. At the time, Major LE agencies, and some dealers, would recommend this. Incidentally, Corps, I would say any gun with DL/SS numbers ground or polished off probably IS stolen, or was at some point in its life. At the same time there were reports of police in small towns confiscating guns out of cars. So I did mark three of mine. Yes, the two I have done that way, should I offer them for sale, have been decreased in value (but I have no plans to do that). I have a Smith M-59 out there that has my Texas Drivers' license# under the grip, which was in fact stolen...
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 10-27-2010 at 08:39.

Blog Entries

Before the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) came into existance people had to improvise some way of marking their property to identify it. Since NCIC now has a national data base of stolen property which is available to law enforcement agencies the improvised identification systems are obsolete. A person should simply keep a record of the make, model and serial number of any item that has a serial number. That information can be provided to law enforcement when reporting stolen property. If the stolen item is ever checked for stolen by any law enforcement agency the reporting agency and listing agency are instantly notified if the item is in the data base as having been stolen.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    I would say any gun with DL/SS numbers ground or polished off probably IS stolen, or was at some point in its life. ...
    With all respect, since the beginning of my "shooting life", I've always been certain to obtain a well-documented receipt for ANY firearm that's come into my custody, as well as for those I've sold. Logic dictates that in the legal sense, a documented factory-stamped serial number will supercede any home-made inscription.

If I were to inherit, then subsequently sell an"inscribed" collection vial FFL, I don't think I'd want to leave an ssn, or any personal info on it...I doubt the purchaser would want it like that either.

JMHO