Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1891 Mauser speculation

Last year I came across a fine example of the 1891 Argentine mauser rifle. With only minor stock dents it was selling for $200. I couldn't get my money out fast enough. I had been looking for a better than average example of this rifle for several years and was having no luck. Other South American mauser rifles I've seen were selling for $600-$800 in this condition. Now I've come across another of the 1891 rifles in really nice shape (the crown has been ground off, which is typical) for $250. What am I missing here? A couple years ago you couldn't find any of these rifles for even big money and now they are popping up at what I consider a cheap price. What has changed?

Your luck! --Jim

My own opinion is that older collectors are selling off their stuff or when they pass away the spouse or children sell off the collection. Most new shooters want a black rifle or pistol nothing wrong with that I have a few, but its not the same as holding a piece firearms of history.

I bought mine in 1960 for $19.95 from Montgomery Ward. Sorry, just had to throw that in!

Mr Langford has a point.
    I began accumulating in the early 60s and have everything from crapola to some mighty fine collectibles.

I am of the age where I care less about maintaining and worrying about them.
    I am trying to talk myself into liquidation, but still negotiating.
    I've seen some collections go at estate sale, but it is an ugly experience.

Maybe the answer is as simple as that. Old guys pass on and the 'young guns' are only interested in 'black guns' leaving our 'treasures' as yesterday's Ho Hum. For me, I'll always be more interested in fine steel and walnut as opposed to the latest injection molded piece of plastic. I'm only 59 but I've already started the process of passing on portions of my lifetime hobby to each of my three children. Inheritance should have more to do with 'appreciation' than monetary value. In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes open for more examples of the gun maker's art appearing on the used gun rack at my local dealers.

Dave . . .
    Just curious . . .
    Does your handguard extend from the rear sight to the lower band, or only a short way forward from the rear sight?
    I've seen more with the longer handguard than the shorter.
    I believe the shorter guard was a "left-over" from the earlier Turkish contract of 1890. --Jim

Jim, My handguard is the long type unlike the short ones you see on the carbine. Then again, my rifle's serial number is T59XX so it was made towards the end of the production run. I think I'll go back and take another look at the other 1891 rifle I saw the other day. It was an 'A' prefix and lacked the magazine locking screw the later ones have. I can't remember which handguard it had.

Dave I say that because over the last year or so I have came across several estate auctions and here's what I have bought Colt 1900, 1891 Carcano TS carbine WWI vintage, Arisaka type 38 with mum intact .

I think I'm starting to see more and better stuff come on the market. I scored a Remington 660 in 222 Remington today from a local gun store. Some older fellow came in yesterday wanting to sell. He must have sold cheap, cause i sure bought it cheap. Now if I can just find a nice example of a C96 broom handle mauser pistol. I would like to replace the one my father had to sell when I was a kid. He'd brought it back from Germany and had to sell to put bread on the table.