Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Marine A5 Sniper View Post
    The rear base is supposed to be on the receiver. Jim
    So the rear scope mount on the rear sight base as in this pic is wrong?

D. Mark
    Gentleman Farmer, U.S. Army - Ret.

2. Default

Not incorrect, as many very early match rifles and the Winchester Vera Cruz sniper rifles were built on 6" centers (similar to what we have here), but I might point out that the rifle pictured has some interesting mounts. What they discovered was that the 6" center setup left way too much scope cantilevered off the rear base and scope damage was prevalent, not to mention that 7.2" centers gives 1/4 MOA clicks (for the Win A5). You don't want those hassles. From prior to WWI on, the scopes were mounted on 7.2" centers in the manner I described. So both 6" centers and 7.2" centers are correct depending on time frame. Since you are going to be in the paper punching game, you won't regret the 7.2" centers.

I deer hunt with mine, as I like the A5 that much. Don't bend or grind your bolt, as you will discover if mounted correctly, the scope clears the bolt (barely). The scope will also move forward during recoil, and you have to learn to pull it back into battery after working the bolt. The rifle pictured has the scope in the forward position, which is why it looks more balanced.

Jim

PS
    Anyone know the history of the rifle pictured?
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 03-01-2011 at 10:16. Reason: xx

Jim,

WOW, great info.

I'm looking at building one on a WWI period receiver. Reckon that means I'll need the 7.2 center points.

One last question. Which of Senich's books would you recommend as the best for info on the A5 snipers during and just after WWI?

Again, Thanks for your insight!
    D. Mark

4. Default

I know of no good book on WWI Marine snipers. All that I have read are error prone. The 5th and 6th Regiments contained a large number of snipers prior to June 1918, but Belleau Wood saw most of them decimated. They were replaced with less well trained snipers, sometimes based solely on rifle qualification. OSD was training a cadre (475) of excellent scout-snipers, but to my knowledge, not one of them ever engaged in combat.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Marine A5 Sniper View Post
    I know of no good book on WWI Marine snipers....
    Jim, understood.

Any Senich's book that best covers the M1903 sniper rifles?
    D. Mark

D. Mark I would recommend:

Senichs' "The US Marine Corps Scout Sniper in WW2 and Korea" Paladin 1993 (The WW1 rifles are covered as well.)

A second choice would be:

Senich's "The Complete Book of US Sniping" Paladin 1988

USMC documents record both Winchester A5 and Lyman 5A telescopes on hand at the beginning of WW2 with a notation that they were surplus "from the last war". Obviously there were no WW1 Lyman 5A's so someone was either confused or the USMC made an interwar procurement to supplement the Winchester scopes that were on hand.

Regards,

Jim

7. Default

I agree with Mr. Gaynor.

Between the wars and after 1926, the Corps replaced damaged A5's with 5A's, since they were identical except for the Lyman rib. I have never so much as seen a picture of a Marine rifle with a 5A, but I know from documents that they did indeed use them. A large portion of those scopes were the modified A5's from WWI. I wish I had been around when they surplused them. I have heard that one man bought them all.

Jim

Jim and Jim,

Thanks for all the advice and information, I have a reason for all of the questions.

For a while I have had a "Rescued" Bubba-gunsmithed M1903. The hacked up wood (once a nice straight grain, fingergroove stock) was discarded long ago. All of the USGI metal came with the rifle (some in a box) to include a receiver with a SN in the 820xxx range, a complete J6 bolt, and a 2-31 dated replacement SA barrel. Its a mix-match, but at least its all SA. There is little to no finish on the metal, reckon Bubba took the steelwool to it going for the stainless look. It fired 2 to 2.5 inch groups with LC M2 ball before I took it down to its "less-wood" state. I did away with the Bubba wood in order to make it easier to transport due to my many Army moves - - - and to keep it from being embarrassed among my other M1903s. I had a plan to find a USGI stock for it, but other worldwide weapon carrying events got it the way and took up my time and attention. Any project for this rifle would have to wait.

Besides..., I only gave $100 for the poor thing.

Now that I'm no longer humping a M4 and 270 rounds of 5.56mm, I can now do something with this mass of M1903 steel. While a 8X Unertl scoped 03 would be very nice, just like the OP I also have two just about to finish college, therefore the Leatherwood clone of the A5 scope appears to me. If I hadn't found this thread, I would have never known that the A5 had "gone-to-war" and was an option to build this project 03 into something.

Standby for what I am sure will be even more questions.

Best Regards,

Mark
    D. Mark

9. Default

I wish you great luck on your project. I built a similar rifle, and it is a hoot to shoot. You will love that A5. I will help you any way I can.

Where were you doing your humping? I carried that many rounds in clips (14 clips, 19 rounds each). I was always concerned I would die because I ran out of ammo. I didn't run out of ammo.

Semper Fi,
    Jim
    Cpl.
    USMC 69-72
    RVN 70-71

D. Mark,

Here are a couple of sites that may be helpful:

http://unertl.alexweb.net/for_sale.htm

http://www.steveearleproducts.com/scopeblocks.html

Regards,

Jim (the other one)
    Last edited by jgaynor; 03-03-2011 at 06:47.