Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

In the 90's, my friend from shooting at Camp Bullis, 1967-1971, Col. Bill Dickman USMCR, TRIED to get me to buy his USMC 03 Sniper he had gotten away with. At the time the interest in 03's and M-1's was just beginning again and there was no vintage shooting. So just like those $59.95 Johnsons, I let it get away from me.

Bill did some sniping in WW2. As a marksman, and a pilot, he from time to time found himself working as an Air Liason officer (FAC) and sniping was his collateral duty. When I shot with him and the 4th Marine Recon Bn. snipers at Bullis he was CO of the USMCR Sniper School. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by EdBowles View Post
    Sorry Guys, fell off the face of the earth for awhile. The Malcom 6X scope is more in my price range @ $260 at Midway, while the "o" and "e" blocks can be had for $12 each at (http://www.steveearleproducts.com/scopeblocks.html). Still have a kid in college, so the collectible stuff is a ways off. Ed
    The straight stock will probably be easier to find than a "C" stock and more accurate historically. The CMP rules may well be loose enough to permit either stock but you may want to verify that.

Regards,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by EdBowles View Post
    .... Midway has the Leatherwood Hi-Lux William Malcolm 6X scope at a reasonable price. I need some info on the front ring, how its attaches to the barrel, and hand guard dimensions. Anyone have a source for this info....
    Ed,

Did you ever locate the info you were looking for?

I'm also thinking about using the Leatherwood Malcolm scope for a Marine M1903 A5 clone. I can handle all of the gunsmithing, just need the mounting data for the scope and the info about the handguard mod for the build.

Regards,
    D. Mark
    Gentleman Farmer, U.S. Army - Ret.

4. Default

Mount the rear base on the receiver ring with the front base on 7.2" center to center (of bases). The rear base should butt up against the fixed rear sight base. That's it, folks.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Marine A5 Sniper View Post
    Mount the rear base on the receiver ring with the front base on 7.2" center to center (of bases). The rear base should butt up against the fixed rear sight base. That's it, folks. Jim
    Thanks Jim!

Any details or pictures of how the upper handguard is re-shaped for the forward mount?
    D. Mark

6. Default

A very close fit, and the shaved part looks to be run under a planer.

Jim

A very close fit, and the shaved part looks to be run under a planer. Jim
    Jim..., I'm a Visual Learner.

Do you have any pictures, or links that shows how these scopes were mounted.

The second post of this thread is the only clear pic that I have ever seen of an A5 on a M1903.

Thanks Again,
    D. Mark

8. Default Like this.

This is an example out of Senich's book. There are two things wrong with this mount as far as being an original USMC sniper rifle, but no one is going to notice (but me probably).

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

.... There are two things wrong with this mount as far as being an original USMC sniper rifle, but no one is going to notice (but me probably). Jim
    OK - - - Other than the rear mount being on the receiver......?
    D. Mark

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DMark View Post
    OK - - - Other than the rear mount being on the receiver......?
    The rear base is supposed to be on the receiver.

Jim