Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Silence is Deafening

Not sure I even want to post this... last thing I want to do is get everyone riled up at Christmas on EITHER side of this thing. BUT.... One thing I've noticed. I think most of us are so stunned, I don't think we as veterans even want to talk about the end of "Don't Ask and Don't Tell," or any other aspect of this whole episode. I kind of think most of us are just left in shock and kind of want to forget about it. It's like the media: nobody's asking the veterans, nobody's listening to the veterans. I guess there is a wildly happy minority out there and a bunch of wine and cheese liberals who never put on a uniform that are happy as well. They got what they wanted.

Why should "veterans" have any say in current law or regs of the military? I am a vet too but don't think my opinion should have any weight on what they are doing. There were gays in the military when I was in (I'm sure) and they are there now! There are gays who very macho and there are the 'flaming limp wrist' types. The latter are not in the military.

And look at the bright side, if your fox hole buddy falls in love with you he will REALLY watch your back! hehehe! (no pun intended, of course)

Let's look 20 years or so down the road. We will then have senior ranking officers who are openly gay and they will be making the decisions about how the military will operate. What happens then??

I would expect him to base his decisions on the 20 years of experience he has. And to do what he has been doing for the previous 20 years.

“I, (state your name), having been appointed a (rank) in the United States (branch of service), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foriegn and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the office upon which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

Undoubtedly he will base his decisions on the 20 years of experience he has had. That is exactly my point.

This admin has no idea of the can of worms they have opened, gee let's see now "we" the tax payers will be providing "spousal" support for them. Holy crap
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

Well as a veteran my opinion should count too, but it doesn't. The libs are calling all the shots now and they will continue until they are voted out.

I feel that having a gay serving "openly" opens up more than a can of worms. It's no different than if someone like me was standing in formation and I say "when 1600 gets here I will be having sex with a kumquat". It's going to make the other Soldiers look at me different, not as another equal soldier but as a weirdo.

As for the long term effects, those 13,000 who were mustered out, some will probably be allowed back in, with pay, given rank, declared heroes, have a special ceremony where they are give special medals, and from then on treated like they were Chesty Puller at Choson. The others who don't reup, will receive big payouts, go on MSDNC, ABC, CBS, and write books that give them millions.

THAT is what is wrong with it.
    --------------------------------
    Certified Internet Warrior Status: Achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by UUURah View Post
    Well as a veteran my opinion should count too, but it doesn't. .
    As a veteran you should be interested in making sure that those who WANT to serve have not only the opportunity to serve but are equipped with the best and most up to date equipment available to them. Then you need to ensure that they have the proper training and support to utilize this to protect and defend the legacy you left them.

Smokey is right. We the veteran's don't mean sh*( but we the tax payer's should mean something. We are the ones who are going to have to pay for this. You can take it to the bank, it's about the money. The opinions of the veteran's in this country has never meant a damn thing. If you are waiting for the VFW to say something, forget it. It just means more future members.
    Last edited by Weasel; 12-25-2010 at 08:55.

Veterans also have an interest in what makes things work.

This deal has the possibility of introducing divisiveness of a destructive level into military society.

There were deep reasons for DADT that are being ignored by those with a destructive agenda.
    There were some murky hierarchies and networks involved.
    Don't forget the recent SMA who got busted out for violating young females.

The opinions of a lot of combat and working troops were ignored regarding this.
    "Wanting to serve" doesn't mean everyone ought to.

The idea of changing military society in such a crucial time is preposterous.
    Just more signature activity by the radical leftists and their hate America atitudes.
    The lame duck session illustrated this by spitefully passing items the public clearly rejected.