Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

There are parts of "No Time For Sergeants" that bring back a few blue-suit memories

Maury

The 1st 3 seconds of the ambush in Forest Gump all but had me under my seat.
    That was a real shocker initially.

Default top gun

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
    Are there any movies (or parts) that come close to what you experienced in the military?

-Jeff L
    Boot camp as I remember it was just like the one in Full Metal Jacket. I laugh at it today but back then I was totally conviced that they could kill me and get away with it
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

Like this? I do not know how to remove the sh-- part!

[IMG]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s165/FLYINGMEDIC/Military****burnerpin.jpg[/IMG]

Like this? Could not remove the S word on the pin!
    [IMG]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s165/FLYINGMEDIC/Military****burnerpin.jpg[/IMG]

This bring back memories?

[IMG]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s165/FLYINGMEDIC
    Last edited by Doug Ford; 01-03-2011 at 06:20.

Is it true that you can't be a Marine DI unless you can chew out a recruit for five minutes without repeating yourself?

9. Default

"Full Metal Jacket" wasn't a spot on depiction of USMC recruit training, but it did a good job of portraying the atmosphere and unique experience of Paris Island. The barracks were accurate, as was the funny sense of humor DI's have. In movies there is often one DI, but in reality there are three. the SeniorDI, Second "hat", and Third "hat". The Senior DI is the father figure. The Senior DI gains respect and loyalty from positive reinforcement, such has handing out mail, and seeming to be more human by comparison to the other DI's. The Second "hat" is the teacher. His focus is on history, and customs and courtesies of the USMC, and drill. The Third "hat" is the meanie. He gains respect through negative reinforcement, fear , and intimidation. His primary job is drill, and adding stress to your life. While the Second and Senior DI may behave like a 3rd hat at times, the third hat never behaves like the Senior or Second DI. In the movies they are usually all rolled up into one character like Gunny Hartman played by Ermy.
    The most glaring and annoying problem with movies or TV that depict military life are uniforms, and personal appearance. One show that went the extra mile to get these right was "JAG", and it's spin off "NCIS".
    Last edited by Greg Ficklin; 01-15-2011 at 09:30.

Odd you should comment on "the barracks were accurate." I suppose that only proves that barracks wherever are all pretty much the same. FULL METAL JACKET was filmed in England and all the first half of the movie, which contained the boot camp scenes, was filmed at Bassingbourn. Bassingbourn was an RAF base prior to WWII and was turned over to the 91st Bomb Group of the 8th Air Force for use during WWII. In more recent years it was taken over by the British Army and used for recruit training.