Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default M84 scope manufacturers I read somewhere years back

That the M84 was manufactured by Libby Owens Ford and by Leupold and Stevens I cannot find the source of this info. Does any one here recall this written up by anyone.

Started on M1 forum: http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...cope-Questions
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 12-18-2010 at 05:53.

Johnny, There is a picture of an M84's Govt style packaging Marked Libby Owens Ford (dated Jan 53 s/n 34XXX) in Senich's Complete book of US Sniping. I read somehwere about leupold and Steven being involved but like you i don't remember where. On one of these forums a poster recently started a project collecting information from M84 data plates for what its worth there seem to be two distinct styles. One that has a white rectangular suround for the s/n and one that does not (???) Whether thai has anything to do with the maufacturer i don't know.

FWIW there is an excellent article on "US Sniping Rifles" By M.D. Waite in the June 1965 American Rifleman. There is a picture of an M84 that has distinctly different w&e knobs than what you typically see. Whether it was an early prototype or what I don't know.

Link to the other discussion with references to L & S:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...4-sniper-scope

Regards,

Jim
    Last edited by jgaynor; 12-19-2010 at 10:12. Reason: added link

3. Default

I saw the gunboards post also. I am trying to locate the article on L&S m84's here are some pics of the variations I have.

From left to right : Late LOF drawing # location/ early LOF note black data plate screws/ late LOF data plate silver screws/ L & S data plate no border around s/n and drawing # on the tube to the right of the data plate I have seen the L&S type in the 11,xxx --15,xxx s/n range if you have an M84 with border s/n in 11,000 ---15,000 post it please.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 12-19-2010 at 12:37.

N.E. New Jersey, west of the 'gorllia' building.

There was also a third manufacturer of USGI M84 scopes, in addition to Libby-Owens-Ford and Leupold-Stevens. I have a good friend who is in the process of doing an article on these scopes. I'll wait for him to identify the third. (I do know who it is, but not the particulars). L-S scope second from the top.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom in N.J.; 12-26-2010 at 07:32.

R. Wendel, Inc. is the 3rd manufacturer that I had recorded, based on some discussion here in 1999.

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in N.J. View Post
    There was also a third manufacturer of USGI M84 scopes, in addition to Libby-Owens-Ford and Leupold-Stevens. I have a good friend who is in the process of doing an article on these scopes. I'll wait for him to identify the third. (I do know who it is, but not the particulars). L-S scope second from the top.
    Tom, has your friend identified a publisher yet?

Regards,

Jim
    ANJRPC
    Cherry Ridge

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny in Texas View Post
    I saw the gunboards post also. I am trying to locate the article on L&S m84's here are some pics of the variations I have.

From left to right : Late LOF drawing # location/ early LOF note black data plate screws/ late LOF data plate silver screws/ L & S data plate no border around s/n and drawing # on the tube to the right of the data plate I have seen the L&S type in the 11,xxx --15,xxx s/n range if you have an M84 with border s/n in 11,000 ---15,000 post it please.
    Here is a pic of a Leupold M84 that I have in the 13,000 range along with a LOF:

This being my first post.........................Hi folks!! Some here may know my name from over at gunboards, CMP or arfcom. Hopefully I can contribute and learn something hear also.
    Last edited by tazaroo; 03-18-2011 at 06:45.

8. Default

Welcome Tazaroo! What is the M1C s/n on the mount in the top pic if you don't mind sharing? Nice scopes and mounts. The bottom M84 looks bent in the pic must be the angle of the picture?
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 03-18-2011 at 07:05.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny in Texas View Post
    Welcome Tazaroo! What is the M1C s/n on the mount in the top pic if you don't mind sharing? Nice scopes and mounts. The bottom M84 looks bent in the pic must be the angle of the picture?
    The number on the base is 3454203. The bottom M84 does look bent. I freaked out for a quick minute until I realized it must have been the angle of the shot. Both scopes are straight as an arrow. Any thoughts as to when these two were made?

10. Default

M84's I have seen still in boxes were dated '52 and '53 , some were probably made in '51 as well based on M1D barrel dates. This speculation based on various observations and articles I have read about U.S. sniper production after WWII. I think there were aroiund 26,000 M1D's built t S.A. and I think there are M84 s/n's over 40,000 probably no later than '54 in my opinion.