Default It's all down hill............

1967 was in basic training at Ft Ord. Drill staff continually told us, "It's all down-hill after the rifle range!"

No matter how hot the day got, no matter how tired we were, we'd always get that statement.

About two weeks after we qualified at the range, we were in "Pleasant Valley" doing the night infiltration course.

With a light rain falling, we low-crawled under the barbed wire, while machine guns fired over-head and artillery simulators went off. When a flare went off, everyone froze. You'd squint out of one eye and think everyone around you was dead.

As the rain came down harder, we continued crawling. A flare went off. Everyone froze. And out of the night came the plaintive statement "Remember, it's all down-hill after the rifle range!".
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Ft. Ord 73, POW camp stuck in a trash can an tiger cage. Did not get lost on nite nav. drill, but almost missed the truck back too tent city. Would be raining an out across the bay would be sail boats an sunshine.

In 1960, I was stationed at NAF Monterey and lived in Seaside. I can remember the nights when the live fire used to keep me awake. Great place!
    Then in 1964, I went into an Army National Guard unit and finished out nearly 29-years over on "the dark side". Last time I was at Fort Ord was in the late 1980's when I shot the FORSCOM matches there. Rained the whole time I was there.
    Last edited by Bill D; 12-10-2010 at 02:58.
    "A generation which ignores history has no past and no future." - Jean Boden

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on."
    -- Robert Frost