Default Cold weather match

Shot a NRA high power match today with the 1903. Had fun as always but didn't shoot very well. The temperature was in the 20s and had to shovel snow away from the line to shoot prone. Two ARs stopped working during the match and I suspect the cold weather may have contributed. One shooter was able to work thru it but the other couldn't. Felt sorry for them but I was glad to be shooting a bolt gun. That will probably be the last match for me until spring.

Blog Entries

That's true grit! I may try out my 1903 on a high power event or two.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Go for it, its fun. The muzzle blast really messes with the .223 guys next to you who are not used to standing next to a 30 cal.

I think from other posts you have been shooting a Garand in the CMP matches. I just got one this fall, so I'll try it next season. However, in a 30 round match I'm thinking the 03 might have a slight edge over the Garand. My reasoning is that in slow prone the bolt gun is just plain better. In rapids the Garand is better because you don't have to work the bolt and the recoil is lighter but the recoil effect isn't as bad in the prone position so the Garand advantage is minimized. In offhand shooter skill trumps all else but the bolt gun is still more accurate. Just my opinion, any thoughts? I think the Garand prevails in the 50 round course because of the sitting rapid.

20 degrees would have been nice last Sunday in Gaylord Michigan. Northland Sportsman's Club holds Operation Northwind each January in support of The M'1s for Vet project and has not been above zero at the start the last three years. Here's a link to the match, http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=30954. Read to the last few posts for the temps! Always cold, usually snow but always a good time for a great cause.

rifle guy @ LSC

Youngstown Rifle and Pistol Club is having their CMP match tomorrow, January 16th, 2011. I will be around 15 Deg F when we start. I'm not sure if I'm taking my Garand or M1917 yet, but I gotta figure it out soon...

Mike Doerner
    Last edited by mdoerner; 01-15-2011 at 11:05.

Rifle Guy, that sounds brutally cold, but worth it for the cause.

mdoerner, let us know which rifle you chose, and how it turned out.

This year it was not as bad as the past couple years even though it was colder. Sun shown brightly and there was no wind at all. Except for my feet I was pretty comfortable, even with a 92-2x in OH I still shot like crap though. Too many cloths! But there is always Perry in August and 90+ degrees!!! But as you say Allen, a very good cause. I hope to make the "Snow Shoot" at SMGC on the 29th for the same reason.

rifle guy @ LSC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Humphrey View Post
    Go for it, its fun. The muzzle blast really messes with the .223 guys next to you who are not used to standing next to a 30 cal.

I think from other posts you have been shooting a Garand in the CMP matches. I just got one this fall, so I'll try it next season. However, in a 30 round match I'm thinking the 03 might have a slight edge over the Garand. My reasoning is that in slow prone the bolt gun is just plain better. In rapids the Garand is better because you don't have to work the bolt and the recoil is lighter but the recoil effect isn't as bad in the prone position so the Garand advantage is minimized. In offhand shooter skill trumps all else but the bolt gun is still more accurate. Just my opinion, any thoughts? I think the Garand prevails in the 50 round course because of the sitting rapid.
    I won a Garand clinic with my 1903 MKI once, but I had to practice hard with stripper clips. I'm a lefty so that slows me down a tad. The last bolt action match I blew it because of using club issued ammo, I didn't have a good zero and without a sight mic or calipers handy it I didn't get it adjusted well. I also need a better spotting scope setup so I can tell when adjustment is required and just last night I realized I have a smaller peep by .005" on that rifle that the standard #6, I'd never measured it before and just assumed it was the largest so I have another variable to play with. I'd like to believe my 1903 is more accurate, but the truth is I think it's too close to call and as Maury would say a moot point because both are capable of cleaning a target.
    Last edited by PhillipM; 01-20-2011 at 01:00.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

My hat is off you if you can win left handed. It takes pretty decent dexterity even when the mechanism is designed in your favor, let alone southpaw. Get yourself one of the Ray-Vin mics that are a copy of the old P.J. O'hare units. A bit pricey, but you'll make it back in wasted ammo. With practice you can make an elevation adjustment with one hand while prone in a sling.......if you are right handed The beauty of the old 03's is infinite adjustability for both elevation and windage. Who needs 1/4 MOA clicks when you can have 1/64 or better? Just don't ask me to dial back to that setting the next day!

Its all for fun anyway, but winning is a little more fun.

I used my Garand. It performed flawlessly, unfortunately, I did not.....

Mike D