Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Help Identifying The Rifle Cleaning Rod Kit

I picked up this WWI rifle cleaning rod kit. It is marked "USMC" on the back of the web case. The inside the flap of the web case is marked "R. H. LONG 11-18". Some told me it may be an M1916 cleaning rod kit. But I can't find any information on what the military called it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Man is not free unless government is limited." -- Ronald Reagan

The military designation for that rod and case is "Cleaning Rod Model of 1916".Issued one per eight rifles for field service use only.

Thanks for the info! That is what I was looking for.

I have them marked Made by Marbles, stamped RH LONG on the flap like Longs bought them off the shelf and re marked the flap. They also had shotgun rods in the same sleeves..

Any ideas what a USMC marked set sells for these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Douglass View Post
    I have them marked Made by Marbles, stamped RH LONG on the flap like Longs bought them off the shelf and re marked the flap. They also had shotgun rods in the same sleeves..
    I am not sure of the origin of those,Marbles never made a cleaning rod case of that pattern although I have often seen Marbles cleaning rods in those cases.The cases were widely available as surplus for many years.Some Marbles collectors seem to think that Marbles purchased those cases as surplus and used them for their rods.

Quote Originally Posted by JBinIll View Post
    I am not sure of the origin of those,Marbles never made a cleaning rod case of that pattern although I have often seen Marbles cleaning rods in those cases.The cases were widely available as surplus for many years.Some Marbles collectors seem to think that Marbles purchased those cases as surplus and used them for their rods.
    I agree Marbles purchased these as surplus at some time, not the other way around. If they were originally Marbles there would be no need for the flared/enlarged top section for the "football" handle of the 1916 rod! I have both with the rods, one for my '03's and one for my .22 collection. The Marbles rod has a standard type slim-straight handle. As for the USMC marking---there is so much phony MC marked stuff around I have to doubt that, I've seen allot of these cases, none so marked!

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    As for the USMC marking---there is so much phony MC marked stuff around I have to doubt that, I've seen allot of these cases, none so marked!
    Ditto on that. As for a value,I've bought them for as little as $3 at flea markets and seen them bring well over $50 on e-bay.

Of course there is also a version with a one piece rod.

I have in my hands the canvas case in question and on the front silk screened it says "MARBLE'S Gladstone, Michigan, U.S.A. 9728 and on the flap it is stamped R.H.LONG 8-18 inside is a three piece brass cleaning rod with a round wood handle. So which came first the chicken or the egg? I bought a bunch of these in San Jose years ago for $5.

Also the Marines have never changed their U.S.M.C font and that ain't it.
    Last edited by Doug Douglass; 12-14-2010 at 01:03.