Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Old Army/New Army

I remember, in 1988, being so tired I could'nt think straight, and sitting in the Latrine attempting to put a shine on a pair of "no shine" boots. wondering" WTF is this doing for the USA and how does this make me combat ready?" Flash forward 22 years and I love the smell of warm kiwi and leather. I guess that makes me a " lifer" or whatever, but I am cool with being Regular Army!

Know what you mean. 1959 we were issue brown boots, left over from the old army, we were also issued bottles of black dye. The drill show us how to use a small smooth rock to " bruise " the leather before dyeing. Years later I still had a pair of those boots. They were black of course , except at the top where the blousing rubber rubbed, there they were a beautiful brown.

Although I only had two years ACDU if you count 7 years Army ROTC and 3 years USNR I was spit shining for 12 years. I find shoe shining very nostalgic and comforting. My masterpiece was a pair of cap toe jump boots I worked on daily, all one summer. They were spit shined all the way up. (Can we say obsessive-compulsive?) After I did that my friends all accused me of painting them with that faux patent leather boot paint they used to sell.

What, no one cheated? Aero wax put a beautiful shine on and as long as you didnt flex your foot walking and crack the wax. Never did get gigged at inspection. And yes I did put many hours into spit shining shoes. My dear ole daddy taught me that when I was a kid. He never went anywhere with spit shined shoes.
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

Don't see allotof guys in full dress anymore but the few I have look like the shoes are patent leather?

That 'patent leather' look is corfam shoes. Great for parade, but hot as 'ell to wear all day on hot pavement.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

One could cheat and use edge dressing (intended for the sides of the sole), but that shine would crack after a while and repeated applications. I know. I tried it.

One particular pair of Corcoran jump boots got passed around my company in West Germany. They were size 8, but they were shined so well that they accompanied at least 4 guys to the NCO academy while I was in FRG. Unlike BASIC, no one mandated we change pairs of boots daily, so no one noticed that those stunningly-shined boots were WAYYYY small for me!
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Another cheat in the late '50 - early '60 time frame was to apply and buff a good coat of polish, then go over it very lightly with a "5-Day" deodorant pad. Worked really well on cap toe jump boots.... as long as they stayed dry.
    Last edited by phil441; 11-22-2010 at 04:48.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phil441 View Post
    Another cheat in the late '50 - early '60 time frame was to apply and buff a good coat of polish, then go over it very lightly with a "5-Day" deodorant pad. Worked really well on cap toe jump boots.... as long as they stayed dry.
    Dry and not exposed to hot and direct sunlight. Even in ideal conditions it was only good for a short period such as an indoor inspection or a guard mount.

Festus

As a military policeman, I had to look good all the time. My jump boots were spit-shined all of the way up...even the tongue. I used to get accused of painting them with polyurethane. Ice-cold water and a cotton baby diaper was the secret over about 20 base coats. I used a woman's pantyhose to buff any scratches out between polishes. I used to lend them out to guys that went to BLC, PLC or trying for E-5. Never tried Mop n' Glo or any of that other stuff, just good old Kiwi. Had 1 1/4" ripple soles put on them too and ladder-laced them. Most comfortable boots I have ever worn...period.