Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMP M1 bayonet

Default CMP M1 bayonet

The CMP started selling a M1 bayonet and M7 scabbard from an unidentified maker. The marking appears to be EN 5 (rather than ENS noted by the CMP). The S in US is curved while the EN 5 has squared corners.

The CMP listing is http://www.thecmp.org/accessories.htm see the "Garand Bayonet - Model M1with Scabbard - Used/serviceable"

There are two different “US” markings on the scabbards ; one of the scabbards shows a makers mark molded into the plastic, a double H with a WV above it, as shown in the pictures.

Any info about these bayonets would be appreciated.

IMG_2056..JPGIMG_2055..JPGIMG_2053..JPGIMG_2051..JPGIMG_2054..JPG
    We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target of opportunity?

- Maj. Kong

Gary Cunningham, in his book on American Military Bayonets of the 20th Century, shows a scabbard on page 65 which has the makers mark of yours (the two connected "H"'s) but says it should be found on the back. The scabbard may have been made by the Nationalist Chinese in the 1960's and if I had to guess, I would say the bayonet was also. I can find nothing in Gary's book on the markings on the bayonet.

Bill D
    Last edited by Bill D; 11-13-2010 at 07:39. Reason: correct spelling
    "A generation which ignores history has no past and no future." - Jean Boden

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on."
    -- Robert Frost

E_US = E(European) _US manufactured

Quote Originally Posted by gwp View Post
    E_US = E(European) _US manufactured
    What's your reference on this? Just curious.

-- Robert Frost

What's your reference on this? Just curious.
    This was a “best guess” made after checking this site:

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/foru...?f=115&t=62525

"Post War Greek or Italian Re stamp.......E(European) -US manufactured.”

I went back and looked at the photos that Kirk posted. I see no evidence of "restamping" on either the bayonet or scabbard. The scabbard would be especially difficult to restamp as the original would have to be ground off and a new stamp applied to a rather thin piece of sheet metal. Sorry, I don't buy your theory (or that of the poster on a reenacting site in England). I still think that the plastic manufacturer's mark on the scabbard in the photo's being that of a Nationalist Chinese (Formosan) manufacturer would tend to make one wonder if that might not be the origin of these.

What's really odd is that the CMP doesn't know where they acquired them from - or maybe they are stopping just short of false advertising?

-- Robert Frost

7. Default

Wonder if they were made in Evzone or Evzoni, Greece. Evzoni elite light infantry and mountain units still use the M1 rifle and bayonet in parade service to this day and are cerimonial guards at the Greek tomb of the unknown soldiers.

From an internet ad..$145.00
    This offering is for the pictured M1 Garand bayonet. In good used condition, this is the Greek military version of the standard US M7 bayonet from the WW2 era. Greece a recipiant of US military assistance since 1945, the M1 garand was embraced by the Evzoni elite light infantry and mountain units who still use the M1 rifle and bayonet in parade service to this day and are cerimonial guards at the Greek tomb of the unknown soldiers.These Evzoni bayonets are serial numbered on the cross piece and are stamped with an E-US marking on the riccaso. Our bayonet is in good looking condition, with finish wear and typical signs of use. Makes a fine display for the military collector.

Gentlemen -
    I just received the following email from Frank Trzaska:

"They are Greek made as far as I know. They were used with the Lend Lease M1 Garands we gave them.

All the best
    Frank Trzaska"

I certainly defer to Mr. Trzaska's expertise. Please accept my apology.

Bill D

-- Robert Frost

Well. Gents: on Frank T. web-site, if you check Bill Porter's Page 5, he refers to a Guatemalen M1 Bayonet which has these same "EN S (or 5) over E US" markings. However, his scabbard is not the same as the one which comes with ther CMP M1 Bayonet. In the same Porter Page 5, he shows the markings on a Taiwanese M7 scabbard and this CMP scabbard markings are not even close. Ain't saying that Mr. T is wrong, about them being Greek, however, I don't think this mystery has been solved as yet. I'm sort of surprised that Bayonetman or others have not chimed-in on this controversy. Semper Fi.