Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default

Looks like the rifle will be posted on the auction next week. I would expect a lot of action on this one.

Senich says these "seven digit" M40's were procured by the USMC for test & evaluation purposes.....Probably not combat-fielded, but rare as heck, and he quotes Bruce Nelson .."one without provenance should be viewed with caution."....I would say this one has good provenance.........should go for a pretty penny....

3. Default

Since Senich wrote his book, more information about the late M40's have been found. These rifles occur in a narrow band of serial numbers, 6,257,XXX. Some of these rifles were used in combat. 19 of the late rifles were sent to Sionics for modification to accept supressors for SF use in country. It seems that alot of these rifles also found thier way into the AMTU, The AMTU sent about 14 barreled receivers to the CMP about a year back. Most, not all, were modified to .223 (new heavy barrel). Once the MTU folks figured out what they had, they wanted them back.

1shot

4. Default

Game on! Went on auction today. Looks rightous. Already up to $5,005.00.

http://auction.odcmp.com/auctions/de...2384&pic=0#img

Man....that thing is sweet.....looks new....

6. Default

As per the DOD central registry, the rifle is/was USAF (United States Air Force) property. Scarce none the less but not USMC. Interesting to note as with most 6xxxxxx rifles, the scope is matte black and the scope base has rounded corners.
    Last edited by Bsully; 10-26-2010 at 07:52.

7. Default

Ba-da-bingo Sully,

I wish the CMP would have done some research instead of just throwing out the "USMC Sniper" but it will bring more $$$$$ with the wrong description.

Marty
    Badger Ordnance

8. Default

Bsully:
    How are you gaining access to the DOD central registry? In other words I'm curious, how you got on and how to check a firearm there? How is it set up? Any firearm they have a serial number for or what?
    Thanks!

Bid up to $8355 as of Weds. AM....wow....

10. Default

Mo,
    There are certain privileges granted certain citizens due to certain circumstances. I know that is a bit vague but it is as best an answer as I can supply. My specific study area was initially USMC Remingtons and Winchesters. Come to find out there is a much broader and interesting history throughout all branches of service concerning "commercially" procured civilian weapons for special services and other uses and as such my area of study expanded. A side note; The initial USAF M40's were turned in by the AF in the early 80's as there was no real use for them any more. The Army found out that they were being turned in and obtained a few and they were utilized by the AMU to build the first test beds for the M24 program, really an off shoot of the USMC M40A1 program. They were short actions with heavy barrels in McMillan stocks to include a few built up in McHale stocks, the "space guns."
    Marty, I fully agree on the "USMC" description. Would hope it is just lack of research. Did you see the M40 in the last Rock Island Auction? It was an AF rifle as well and the M40A1 although a listed rifle had nothing to do with reality. Take a look at the US marking and the discoloration around the serial number. The font on the mount was the exact same font on the receiver and the US was way too large.