Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Dan,

Thanks for all the info and pictures. I recently found a six digit rifle and am starting my M40 build. I called Douglas this morning and they still make the M40 profile barrel, so that's what I'll be going with. The stock is a different story. I called Mike Kokolus and got an answering machine that said that they were shut down until June. Also, I saw on their website, that they no longer duplicate military stocks. Any suggestions on a stock. I don't know if I'm good enough to go the ADL conversion route.

Thanks, Greg V

Greg;

Bummer about Mike Kokolus...The ADL route will save you about $200, since you could get an ADL for around $50-$75 if you search....I did one and it came out OK....The stamped checkering is in there pretty deep, and you end up with a pistol grip a bit on the thin side, but not terrible....Just bite the bullet, steam the heck out of it, and get out the rasp...its that deep....The barrel channel sides thin out, as well, but again, not terrible...Finish it up with a palm sander and restain...
    Punching through the bottom for the mag well is easy. Get yourself a good Dremel tool, if you havent got one already..
    Another benefit of the ADL is they shared the same aluminum buttplate as the M40's. Swivels from a Rem. 513T are the same as the M40's...or so close you'd never know the difference..

PM me, if you have any questions, or want to see any up-close pics of a certain area.

regards

Dan

Thanks Dan, I appreciate your input.

Greg

Dan,

I too am thinking about having TBA do my metal work. I'm also talking with GA Precision.

Did TBA actually parkerize your barreld action, or is it "Duracoated" ? Is it just a standard gray color? Did you also have them put the finish on your bolt and triggerguard?

What was the turn around time on yours?

Thanks again, Greg

Just a standard manganese park job, same as the USMC....Remember, these weren't elaborate rifles such as the Corps uses today. On that particular rifle, TBA fit the barrel I provided, headspaced it, marked it, parked it and serial numbered & blackened the bolt, as I recall. Turnaround time was every bit of three months....Admitttedly, when I got impatient I called Mike Lau (owner) and to his credit, each time I called, he picked up the phone and gave me a SITREP....

I wish I could tell you what I paid, but I can't recall. Since it wasn't a complete TBA-build, Mike came down in price to reflect my finishing the piece...

Thanks again Dan. It looks great, and TBA seems almost eager to do the job for me. It seems to me that GA Precision isn't all that interested in doing the early M40. I think they are into the M40A1's and later.

Good luck...keep me/us posted....Also, I don't know if you have a copy of Senich's book "The One Round War", but I would strongly advise you pick it up...A wealth of knowledge on the early M40's...Rifles, serial#'s, Scopes, Redfield mounts, rings, specs, etc..are all covered in great detail...

regards

Dan

I have a "poor man's" M40. It is a 40X HB with a Leupold 24X scope.........Hey, it works for me. If anyone is looking for the M40 Commemrative, the local gunshop has one. Pretty much NIB.
    USMC 1969-1993 6333/8153/9999
    USMC Combat Pistol & Shotgun Instructor
    FBI Rangemaster

I just got a copy. Great book. I have some reading to do. I'm not complaining, but I wish there were some color pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NY View Post
    Good luck...keep me/us posted....Also, I don't know if you have a copy of Senich's book "The One Round War", but I would strongly advise you pick it up...A wealth of knowledge on the early M40's...Rifles, serial#'s, Scopes, Redfield mounts, rings, specs, etc..are all covered in great detail...

regards

Dan

10. Default

On the stock, Try Boyd's, I know that they were thinking about doing some M40 clones.

Greg,

What color pics are you interested in?

Marty
    Badger Ordnance
    Last edited by Badgerord; 02-13-2011 at 06:46.