Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Hands down, the best meal served to me was at Oakland, CA. It was steaks (T-bone) and all the trimmings and all you could eat. My last military meal as we were mustering out after a year in 'Nam.
    Due to ammo shortages, no warning shot will be fired

leftyo Guest

cant remember what it was, but remember being impressed by the food, and the facilities at Clark AFB, second -ate thanksgiving chow at MCRD san diego once , was excellent. 5 out of my 6 years in the Navy were on ship and all the food sucked! my first ship was an LST, and we did all we could to acquire MRE's from the jarheads. best shipboard meal was mid rats PB&J!

Best chow was at the tanker alert facility at McConnell AFB. With 3/4 crew members being officers steak for breakfast was the norm and holidays were really something. It was way above the normal chow line. I was the gopher/clerk at the facility for awhile. Slept there in a private room, ate there, had lots of time for the recreational pursuits offered. Best job I had while in, then my good APRs got me a bad job with the SAC Drug Rehabilitation Center. I hope that old commandant died a lingering and painful death!
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Trap4570 View Post
    I hate to say it - but good old SOS (toast with sausage gravy) was my best meal always. It was about the only food that would stick with me.

I loved that the best too! Only I always had it poured over a big pile of taters and eggs. Man, it just didn't get any better than that!!!

A half century ago, as one of the last 40mm Bofors gunners in the US Coast Guard, I served aboard an Ocean Station cutter out of Boston, MA (see you-tube USCGC "Bibb", Ocean Station Bravo). As Ocean Stations were in the middle of the North Atlantic Ocean, we could and sometimes did make port in any country and return to station again before returning to the USA. Thus our WO Storekeeper had a wad of cash to pay for reprovisioning/replenishment. Several times, before leaving Boston, he would take an informal poll of the crew and ask if we would eat beans and Wonder Bread for the first few days at sea so that he could afford a steak and lobster feed, usually just after we had left Canada (fresh lobster). On The Big Day: Steaks to order, two lobsters, fresh-baked bread, butter/melted butter in soup bowls, seconds if available -- then four weeks of pounding into 40-foot seas, 20-degree temperatures, 60 mph snow storms and 16-hours of darkness in the winter. As a 20-year-old who was going to live Forever, I remember the chow ----------------------------------------

In february 2011 i was rotating home through kuwait from afghanistan on my way home for R&R. Had been eating mostly MRE's and chow made by Afghans for nearly 9 months. Hadnt had a cold glass of real milk since i left the states. When i got off the plane in kuwait i headed to the chow hall and got a plate of spaghetti and a cold glass of milk. I killed the plate of spaghetti and probably 3/4 of a gallon of the best ice cold milk i had ever drank. I puked it all up before i got back to tent city. Best meal i have ever had.

7. Default

Nov. 10, 2007, Marine Corps Birthday, in Ramadi, Iraq. The Army brigade I was part of, 1st Brigade, 3ID, was OPCON to the MEF which ran Anbar Province, and they really did their birthday right. The chow was typical, but the Guiness and Miller Light were the absolute highlights of the meal. I think they were the 2 best beers I ever had.

Steve

Guiness makes any meal a banquet.

In the words of the immortal Popeye Doyle when asked "How can you drink that stuff?"

"I have to. I'm Irish!"