Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model 1903 FAQs

Question Model 1903 FAQs

Calling all 1903 experts (you know who you are). Please post your top 5 to 10 common questions with answers regarding model 1903s, 03A3s etc.

thanks

-Jeff L
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

OK, Jeff; I'll bite. I don't want to think up 5 or 10 questions and answers. I don't think it will work. Most of the questions beg other questions that the questioneer can't ( or won't ) answer.

BUT...... Here is THE NUMBER ONE question..............

How much is my rifle worth ?????

Answer.......

Whatever someone will pay you for it. That means without having examined the rifle in person and checked everything, who can say ??

All anyone here can do is give an "estimate" of what it might be worth and estimates vary widely as do real values according to where the rifle is for sale. Therefore, the question is mute.

Simple questions can usually be answered by looking at vi-shooters page and seeing what is posted there ..... i.e. "when was my reciever made?" ..... "does this barrel date correspond with the reciever?" ..... "who made this firing pin?" ..... "what kind of stock do I have?" ..... etc.......... I see folks pointing new posters there almost every day.

I really don't want to rain on your parade, but there are just too many variables associated with each rifle to answer a lot of questions by way of an FAQ page.

I know you have good intentions, and on the surface it seems like a good idea; but I just don't think it will work for the people that might want to use it.

FWIW,

Emri

Lets start it this way. What questions would you like to see on an FAQ sticky? Then we'll go from there. The initial idea was questions that weren't subjective.

-Jeff L
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

Allen Humphrey sent me some excellent ideas for questions. I'll pass them along to Jeff. I don't think we should necessarily dismiss the idea out of hand.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

5. Default

Please, let's also ban "Is my low number '03 safe to shoot?".....

I think I could word something that would satisfy both sides. I agree, that the last thing I'd want to stir up is this pot-boiler.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

What was the reason for the 2 part fire pin vs a solid fire pin ?

1. Because the Krag did not have a one piece assembly and we borrowed that idea.

1a. Because the United States Government didn't want to pay a patent easement to Mauser and therefore incorporated this and other, mostly Krag like changes to the Mauser design to avoid payments.

Quote Originally Posted by mike24d20 View Post
    What was the reason for the 2 part fire pin vs a solid fire pin ?
    !. The assumption was if a firing pin broke it would probably be the tip. So they made the striker easily replaceable and in the process built in a weak point in the firing pin design. The tips rarely break but the flange where the striker couples to the FP rod is thin and breaks fairly often.

Regards,
    Jim

10. Default

Really? I did not know that....... this may be fun, next.
    Bart