Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don't recall adjusting sights.

First trained with M 14s in 1967. We learned to set the battle sight zero and then simply applied different sight pictures at various ranges.
    Same principle gramps taught whhen I was a kid.
    I used the same principle on the shorter range 16s and always fired expert.

2. Default

We didn't keep nails in our covers, but the PMIs did pass them out on the firing line for sight adjustments. I recall that my rifle was an Colt XM-16. That was in 1980. It was also at the time the Corps was making the transition from the old sateen uniform to camouflage...we were issued sateen covers and camo utilities.

Quote Originally Posted by mike24d20 View Post
    All my issue m-16's had the adj. front site. An on every one I allways ended up useing a nail. Kept mine in the buttstock cleaning kit. Found the nail easier to use than a bullet tip.
    My M16 didn't have a buttstock trap for the cleaning kit. The cleaning kit was a web belt item which I still have.

Current Army wisdom is that using a nail or bullet causes damage to the sight and detent. They expect units to either fabricate or buy front sight adjusting tools. I don't see that happening on any regular basis!
    "I have a feeling we're not in Kansas any more, Toto!" Dorothy, in the Wizard of Oz

My experience matches Corps 8404. I also had a XM-16. The PMI ran out of nails so we scrounged up a coat hanger and each got a 3 inch piece. Ground a angle on one side and it really helped remove the carbon. I still have my little blue book on how to clean my M16. We also had sateen covers and cammies. We adjusted our sights before the 100 inch course and again during snap in week.
    Semper Fi.

6. Default

All our Squad Leaders had a tool that had one side for the Windage Knob and the other for the Front Sight, used for BZO furthest targets we engaged with rifle was 300M in normal qualification ranges. The effective range with M193 ammo was only 460M. from 1985 on I just used a Leatherman.

Circa 1967 at pendleton range we used bullets to adjust the sights.

And other thing, Try sighting Your rifle while wearing a protective mask. Nearly impossible !

Good Shooting

Lindy

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Varmintpopper View Post
    And other thing, Try sighting Your rifle while wearing a protective mask. Nearly impossible !

Good Shooting

Lindy
    Usually as part of the Army Qual you Zero sights @ 25M, then go to Mask fire, then to Day Qual and finally night qual. NBC qual is at 50M and all you have to do is hit the ivan target 11 times out of 20. I have literally hip shot it and qualified

Shooter5 Guest

Buy the tool, its cheap and it works without damaging the sight assembly:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/675...vc=subv1304696

M16A2 has a buttstock compartment:

http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=13

Some units have even switched to using a 50m or 100m zero instead of 25m.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=63610
    Last edited by Shooter5; 08-07-2013 at 10:19.