Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelp View Post
    I did 4 years, 66-70 in the army.
    I don't ever recall having SOS in a chowhall. We had it at home-ok as I recall.
    My recollection is the messhall chow of those days was abysmal. Makes me sick thinking about it.
    CIDG "PIR" indigenous rations were the worst thing I ever ate, including the can of fish parts.
    I've always liked SOS. Had it as a kid, we called it dried beef gravy.
    I don't know where you ate, but I can remember SOS at every Army mess hall I was ever at. I also got it sometime at Naval Air Stations.
    I found some chow halls much better than others, but most were very good.
    Can't believe you didn't like the PIRs. There were about half of the varieties I wouldn't eat, but the other half were good! Thus I made sure I had the ones I liked when we went to the boonies.
    Sarge
    Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281.AHC Assoc & CAF

Maybe the PIRs weren't that great but at least in the boonies you smelled like the rest of the gooks if you ate them regularly. Nick

What I don't understand is folks who eat sausage gravy but won't touch a good SOS.

More for me I guess.

I never served with, or met a "gook."

I spent 20 months in country and 16 month in a border A Camp with Cambodians, Montagnards, and even some good Vietnamese LLDB.

I'm no "PC" guy, but that term and a few others some guys continue to use are offensive.

I did not care for SOS as a kid. I did like it in Army boot camp, as I was real hungry. Okay here the offical recipe.

MEAT, FISH, AND POULTRY
    No.
    L 052 00
    CREAMED CHIPPED BEEF
    Yield 100 6 ounces portion

Ingredients
    BEEF,CHIPPED,DRIED,CHOPPED
    WATER,WARM
    MILK,NONFAT,DRY
    WATER,WARM
    MARGARINE,SOFTENED
    FLOUR,WHEAT,GENERAL PURPOSE
    PEPPER,BLACK,GROUND
    Issue
    Measure
    Weight
    7 lbs
    8-1/3 lbs
    1-3/4 lbs
    31-1/3 lbs
    1-1/2 lbs
    2-1/4 lbs
    1/2 oz
    1 gal
    3 qts
    3 gal 3 qts
    3-1/8 cup
    2 qts
    2 tbsp
    Method
    Separate dried beef slices, cut into 1-inch slices.
    Place beef in 190 F. water. Soak 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
    Reconstitute milk. Heat to just below boiling. DO NOT BOIL.
    Combine butter or margarine with flour and pepper; add to milk, stirring constantly. Cook 5 minutes until thickened.
    Add beef to sauce; blend well. CCP: Internal temperature must reach 145 F. or higher for 15 seconds. Hold for service at 140 F. or higher.

GOOK was slang for Nathinal Victor Charlie. An JAP an NAZI are polite terms used to talk about two worthless socities durning WW2. An the way our politicians treated our Allies after Nam is unforgivable.

Thanks for the recipe. I remember my dad telling the story of him returning from the Navy after WWII. The first meal my mom served him was "creamed chipped beef on toast". His response was to say, oh great! SH** ON A SHINGLE. I guess that's why she never made it again. At least that I remember.....
    My first experience with it was stepping off a bus at Lackland AFB (for basic training) at oh-dark-thirty and being herded to the chow hall for a serving of SOS. I decided that if military life was all going to be that good then all was OK. Turned out the SOS was the best part.
    Last edited by phil441; 09-23-2010 at 04:53.

Michaelp, I'm sorry the term "gook" offended you .I had no such intent.I too,spent a little time in RVN and had some close aquaintences on"our side".My comment was made to point out something I learned in the USAF's Jungle Survival Course at Clark AFB.It was obvious that you shouldn't shower with Life Bouy soap, deoderant, etc. and go in the boonies but the Negritos employed by the USAF as aggressors could literally smell your B.O. from 10- 20 feet!Unless you assumed the life style AND DIET of the enemy[NVA, VC. or whatever ] your B.O. in the bonnies could give you away.BTW, my first tour I spent 9 months in an A team on the Cambodian border[I was med-evacced out].My other two tours were flying but after 33 months fighting and bleeding for the South Viets while their two faced civilian populace would lie, cheat, beg, borrow, or steal us blind they, as a people, did little to earn my respect. I did have a lot of professional respect for the NVA. They were enemy but they were dedicated,trained, and well equipped soldiers.Again, sorry to upset your apple cart but that's is about all the sympathy I can muster for the Viets. Nick

It's funny the direction some of these threads can take, isn't it? Make me chuckle sometimes... Mike

This is making me hungry. Loved Army SOS. Navy SOS (Chipped beef) not bad, but certainly not as good as the real thing. Man, nothing like two shingles topped with 2 over medium eggs and smothered with SOS! The Ft. Bliss Rod & Gun Club serves SOS on the weekends. It's listed on the menu as- SOS.

Best messhall I ever ate in? Pax River Naval Air Station, Pax River, Md.

Cheers,

Mark
    "I strive to consistently shoot to the level of accuracy that I only occasionally achieve" - Mark

Alea Iacta Est