Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

You can buy SOS from Schwan's Foods - and have it delivered to your door. I get some every once in a while just for old times.
    Schwan's is good but a bit pricey.
    "A generation which ignores history has no past and no future." - Jean Boden

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on."
    -- Robert Frost

Nick you described my Vietnamese x sister-in law perfectly. Brother married a I will love you forever girl. Lasted until her old boy friend made it to the United States. She abandoned her three children and he abandoned his wife and six children. They married and had two more of their own. I can't speak for all Vietnamese but but this gal was the nastiest thing that ever took a breath of air.

Every time I think of her it goes through my mind. If they were all like her it wasn't worth one American life let alone 50,000.
    Last edited by Rick; 09-24-2010 at 08:23. Reason: added word

"Gook" goes back to the Korean war. As I recall it is a corruption of the Korean word for person. Han guk = Korean, Mi guk=American etc. It quickly became a perjoritive for Koreans first and then all Asians.

On the Viet Namese wife thing. I was never in 'Nam as I said, but when I was in Korea just about the only women who would have anything to to with the G.I. were the prostitutes. Korean women back then, at least, were almost always prohibited by their families from marrying outside their race. Respectable women who would have anything to do with a G.I. were few and far between. Respectable women who did so with their families blessing were fewer and further between. Two Korean ladies, real cute gals, who worked in the mess hall regularly had guys make runs at them always unsuccessfully. Now there were a few exceptions, There was an American civilian contractor who worked at our base occassionally who had married a Korean lady, and I use the term advisedly who was just a regular girl, and the mother of a friend of our daughter also was just a regular girl who married an Army Officer, so it did happen. Most of the time the American was just some poor 20 year old who had become infatuated with one of the local "business girls." For obvious reasons many, perhaps most of those marriages didn't survive return to "The World." When the woman in question arrived at the big PX in the sky and knew she couldn't be sent back she very often boogied out of there.

One thing that didn't help with the marriage thing was that the Army facilitated access to the local ladies of the night at least through the time I was in Korea in the mid 60s in the name of disease prevention. They did this by providing medical check ups and issuing cards that allowed the gals on base if they were disease free. One of the CQ jobs at the little base I was stationed at was to check the V.D. cards of women at the door of the N.C.O./EM club which had an entrance to the villiage street. No card you couldn't get in. The N.C.O. club was the "honey hole" for Korean hookers trolling for business.

Of course it dosen't help in developing an opinion of the people of a country when the only people one deals with personally on a regular basis are bartenders and whores.
    Last edited by Art; 09-24-2010 at 12:07.

That describes my brothers situation exactly. That's what can happen when you let your little head do the thinking for your big head.

Thanks for the support guys, I meant no offense to MichaelP or any one else. A quick "war story" a new Warrant Offficer[pilot] assigned to my platoon wanted to take the 3/4 ton ammo carrier truck to go to the big PX over at Da Nang main to get a little refrigerator and fan, etc. for his "hootch",when stopped at a stop light a Viet kid snuck up from behind and reached in and snatched his aviator sunglasses off of his face!When he reflexively reached out to grab the miscreant another kid snatched his watch. Makes a new guy really want to go out and fight for your sorry a$$ doesn't it? Bottom line , if loving them comes in shares you are welcome to mine! Just my not So Humble Opinion,Nick
    Last edited by Nick Riviezzo; 09-24-2010 at 03:34.

6. Default

Love the stuff. First had it at Ft. Sill in Winter 81. Only time I hated it was in 93-94 one of the Battalion cooks used to load it with Onion(Chunks of Onion). Last time I had it was at Ft. Indiantown Gap during the BoB reenactment.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Riviezzo View Post
    Michaelp, I'm sorry the term "gook" offended you .I had no such intent.I too,spent a little time in RVN and had some close aquaintences on"our side".My comment was made to point out something I learned in the USAF's Jungle Survival Course at Clark AFB.It was obvious that you shouldn't shower with Life Bouy soap, deoderant, etc. and go in the boonies but the Negritos employed by the USAF as aggressors could literally smell your B.O. from 10- 20 feet!Unless you assumed the life style AND DIET of the enemy[NVA, VC. or whatever ] your B.O. in the bonnies could give you away.BTW, my first tour I spent 9 months in an A team on the Cambodian border[I was med-evacced out].My other two tours were flying but after 33 months fighting and bleeding for the South Viets while their two faced civilian populace would lie, cheat, beg, borrow, or steal us blind they, as a people, did little to earn my respect. I did have a lot of professional respect for the NVA. They were enemy but they were dedicated,trained, and well equipped soldiers.Again, sorry to upset your apple cart but that's is about all the sympathy I can muster for the Viets. Nick
    Nick,

I did not go to Korea to fight for the Koreans. I went because the United States sent me and the other 60 odd thousand U.S. military personnel there as a deterrent to world communism which is why you went to Viet Nam. You fought for The United States, not for the Viet Namese. The interest you were there to defend was the interest of this country. Whether it was misguided or not is another issue.

8. Default

All I know is that I was a 170 lb when I in and 195 when I got out 3 years latter. Hmmmmmm maybe it was the beer.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DarylBruce View Post
    All I know is that I was a 170 lb when I in and 195 when I got out 3 years latter. Hmmmmmm maybe it was the beer.
    Not Possible. You cant keep beer, only rent it........

At age 61 I now weigh 4 pounds LESS than my 1976 discharge weight. Both my leather shooting jacket from my shooting days and my Dress Navy blue jacket from 34 years ago lack about 7" closing in front. Gravity? Beer? - No, wait, you just RENT that! Thanks for that valuable info! Must be the frickin' gravity/