Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

They can be traced, however the rifle serial number is not always revealed at a purchase, even through an FFL, nor is a list of stolen rifles available very often. If the rifle serial number is checked against a stolen rifle list it can be traced.

On the other hand, handguns are run in most states when an FFL does the deal as is required by law.

Gyrene VSM - OFC

semper fi

`

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrene View Post
    Thank you TomSudz for putting my list on here.
    No problem. I have a little sheet that I take to gun shows that has all of the ones folks here post. I can't memorize them all, of course, but I can carry that sheet with me. I don't go walking around checking the SN of every gun, but I do look at the list now and again and occasionally compare the numbers if I happen to remember a gun being on the list. More eyes can't hurt, that's why I suggested starting this section. I hope more forum and discussion sites will start a page like this so that more of us can be watching. I'd be very happy to see this forum as unnecessary and have no posts, but that just isn't realistic in today's world.

TomSudz - I agree 100%!!!

Gyrene VSM - OFC

semper fi

`

4. Default

Ok, I'm not sure about the confusion here but if a firearm or any thing with a serial number is reported stolen, then that serial number is entered into the system and then when ran by anybody it will come back as stolen. It doesn't matter if it is a rifle/pistol/car................and that "hit" remains in the system until recovered.
    Tracing a gun- pistol or rifle is something different.................

If it looks like the one in this thread.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...ialized-Garand

-Jeff L
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

6. Default

Down here in Florida, the state has a website that you can enter ser#s to see if thay've been reported stolen. <myflorida.com>
    Jim

myflorida.com eventually links to:

http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/item/displayGunSearch.a

the only data you can enter is the sn and supposedly only Florida theft report records are checked

Regards,

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrene View Post
    Thank you TomSudz for putting my list on here.

Handguns are traceable with a serial number. Rifles are not. Most gun stores are reputable, and will be alerted if they know of a specific rifle that has been stolen. In my case, Almost all of them are a bit rare (not the 686 or the M1 Carbine), and would draw attention if they are offered for sale.

They were either already sold by the time I was made aware of the break-in, or are located where I have always suspected the thief put them, not 30 feet from my truck. The poliice were made aware of my suspicions, and the name of the individual, but since there were no witnesses, they coulld not pursue that avenue without breaking the law themselves. I won't check it out myself, and i have had to tell several others to leave it alone, or they would break the law too. The one thing I do know, is the prime suspect (who was a friend) ignores me as much as possible, and won't even look at me when we are in the same room. Another friend says the suspect is guilty, but he, too, cannot break the law.

Gyrene VSM - OFC

semper fi

`
    Gyrene, have you ever though about getting an anonymous person to report your neighbor for waving a gun and making threats.

Sako - The person has a history with the police, and they know him by his first name in 3 of the 4 cities, not to mention the Sheriffs' Department, and the Highway Patrol that perform police activities in the part of the County I lived in (I have since moved).

Gyrene VSM - OFC

semper fi

`

I know a guy who got a shotgun returned after almost 20 years.
    This doesn't always happen, but a record of stolen guns exists once they've been reported.
    An area to watch out is some guns, like lugers, are numbered in series with a letter suffix.
    Omission of that suffix can lead to all kinds of trouble.