Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to tell if it's stolen?

Is there some practical way for a civilian to ascertain if a firearm is stolen? Is there access available to the stolen property data base? Some thirty years ago I bought a S&W model 36 from a coworker. Later on he admitted he had 'found' the pistol in a paper bag in the gutter out front of his house. This same piece has been to a gunsmith to have custom work done. No problem. I'm guessing it is now logged into some government data base. It sure would be comforting to be able to check on a potential purchase before the deal is done.

Call the cops and have them check the ser numbers(before you buy it prefferable), I do it ALL the time!

If you call the cops to have it checked, be prepared to have the gun taken from you! I moved to MI yrs ago and had to register about 30 handguns, many purcahased at gun shows. They all passed but at the time I wondered about that. Yes, they did check them all out on the data base!

Thank you TomSudz for putting my list on here.

Handguns are traceable with a serial number. Rifles are not. Most gun stores are reputable, and will be alerted if they know of a specific rifle that has been stolen. In my case, Almost all of them are a bit rare (not the 686 or the M1 Carbine), and would draw attention if they are offered for sale.

They were either already sold by the time I was made aware of the break-in, or are located where I have always suspected the thief put them, not 30 feet from my truck. The poliice were made aware of my suspicions, and the name of the individual, but since there were no witnesses, they coulld not pursue that avenue without breaking the law themselves. I won't check it out myself, and i have had to tell several others to leave it alone, or they would break the law too. The one thing I do know, is the prime suspect (who was a friend) ignores me as much as possible, and won't even look at me when we are in the same room. Another friend says the suspect is guilty, but he, too, cannot break the law.

Gyrene VSM - OFC

semper fi

`

Blog Entries

I have several current LEO friends I get to phone the number in when buying a firearm from an individual. I don't bother from dealers.

Gyrene, you still call him a friend? I'd hate to see your enemies!
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

PhillipM - NO! I guess I should have called him something worse, but I hate to be negative, and I dislike very much saying "I HATE". I did say he WAS a friend.

Gyrene VSM - OFC

semper fi

`

Had a friend of mine take a rifle of mine to the pawn shop once, for beer money. Yes, he's still a friend, I'm just sorry that his need, to him, was so dire. He's gotten better, and did apologize. No doubt the party was on at the time, and his drunken other wanted it to continue. I recovered the rifle.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

My loss in value of the firearms was in excess of $22,000.00; not to mention the camera, lenses, and other photo equipment which was in excess of $5,500.00. He got to me for almost $30,000.00, which was definitely put on the police report. As a result I was able to write off part of the loss, (less than 10%), on my income tax (my CPA does all that, and he is a tax attorney; I have used his services for 15 plus years). Without the police report the IRS would never consider my loss.

Still, I would rather have all the firearms, camera and lenses etc, back, whether he is a friend or enemy.

Gyrene VSM - OFC

semper fi

`

Madsen,you are a good man, & I hope to be as understanding and forgiving as you. My hat's off to you sir.

da gimp

Gyrene....why do you think a stolen rifle can't be traced like a handgun? Thier serial numbers are as unique as any others. Chris