Default Interesting diary...........

Picked up an interesting diary at a garage sale this weekend. It's the diary of a doctor during WWI, who was sent to a field hospital in France. A lot of hand-drawn diagrams of medical procedures and medical terms that all all essentially Greek to me. Many gaps towards the end as the doctor came down with what I'll bet was "the flu bug" going around in 1918. Long periods where he states he did not write because he was delirious. He recovered just prior to the end of the war. The people running the garage sale didn't know where the book came from. The name on the fly-leaf didn't ring any family bell names. Shame how some ancestor's personal history ends up in 'the trash heap'.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    Shame how some ancestor's personal history ends up in 'the trash heap'.
    Sad people don't realize or appreciate the significance of the things their forbearers went through.One time I found some diaries in an auction lot I purchased and I ran down one of the relatives and gave them back. to the one who was interested in them.

"...Shame how some..." Please try to find a descendant, get permission to publish or copy it and publish. It needs to be in a research library, at least. Primary documents like diaries are invaluable resources.
    "...and gave them back..." That is classy. Mind you, there is a certain amount of lost history if the relatives don't do anything with it. Even if it's just a donation to a local VFW's library.
    Spelling and grammar count!