Blog Entries

Default I won the local vintage bolt gun match

I really have to work on standing, a 38 last month with my M1 and a 39 yesterday with my 1903. Mr. Morgan, who came in last, had only fired his M1917 twice before the match and it was not targeted nor was it holding a group. He's a much better rifleman than what his score shows.

Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

As my kids' high school principal said once, after a roll-over football game, "It's good to win!"

Do you guys run your match backwards? (i.e. standing slowfire last?)

Mike D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mdoerner View Post
    Do you guys run your match backwards? (i.e. standing slowfire last?)

Mike D
    Yes! I questioned the match director about that and he said it was the CMP rules???? I thought I read that standing was first somewhere. The two I have done are run 20 slow fire prone first, 10 prone rapid, 10 sitting rapid, and 10 slow standing when we are all worn out and it's hot!
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Yeah in CMP they shoot standing last.

When all else fails, read the rule book. (Which can be downloaded at the CMP website. http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf ) Knowing the applicable rules can give you a big advantage over competitors who don't have a clue what's going on.

CMP vintage rifle match rules call for the "John C. Garand Match Course" A or B.

9.4 Vintage Military Rife Match
    The Vintage Military Rifle Match is a CMP Games event conducted during the
    annual National Matches. Any CMP-affiliated club may conduct CMP-Sanctioned
    Vintage Military Bolt Rifle Matches by following these rules.
    9.4.1 Course of Fire
    The course of fire for the National Vintage Military Bolt Rifle Match is the As-
    Issued Military Rifle Match, Course A (Table 7). Vintage Military Rifle matches
    conducted by other match sponsors may be either Course A or Course B (Ta-
    bles 7 or 8).

Most CMP service rifle matches use the National Match course, with prone fired last, different targets, and additional distances.

Last edited by Parashooter; 09-17-2010 at 10:01.

OK, why would the CMP rulebook run the Vintage Match in reverse order compared to a Service Rifle Match? To make the Vintage crank-bolt people feel awkward and backwards?? Actually my club only has a 200 yrd range, but we still fire the NMC order at the CMP events. Clear as mud?

Seems like a dumb rule to me, but I'm sure it's been beaten to death somewhere.....

Mike D

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mdoerner View Post
    OK, why would the CMP rulebook run the Vintage Match in reverse order compared to a Service Rifle Match? ...
    Because the As Issued Matches start with five sighters in any position. Most people will choose Prone for this so it makes sense to start the match there and eliminate a bunch of messing around switching positions.

Conventional (ie, non-Game) highpower matches start with Standing because they've always started with Standing.

Maury

Back when dirt was young (about 1958-59), I competed at Blue Trail Range, Wallingford, CT., in the old four-position high power league.
    Elihue Lyman, the grandfather of the present range operator, Dave Lyman, also competed. (Those were the days!!!)
    While we were all starting in the prone position (49 of us), there was Elihue, starting his match in the off-hand position!
    My dad asked him why he was the only one standing, he said, ". . . .'cause I get tired easily".
    From that day onward, I also started my matches in the off-hand position! (Haven't competed since the mid-70's.) --Jim