Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not the big heavy one JohnF. The G43 came home today, and will be at the range tomorrow. I need to reserve my comments, until all of it is settled.

Gyrene VSM - OFC

semper fi

A letter received from the County Sheriff Dept.,today, wants me to call the Property Dept regarding "Firearm(s)" being held by the Sheriff. Of course the person I must speak to is off 'til Monday.

In any case it is looking good for more recovery of the firearms stolen about 2 years ago.

Gyrene VSM - OFC

semper fi

`

Hope you get all your guns back. It will be one for the good guys also hope they got the thief. Hose whipping would be my preferred punishment but jail time and restitution for your time and trouble would be OK too.

The Springfield 1922 M2 Came home today. It has some rust it gained, while out of my control but the rust is minor. Arrests have been made, but that is all I know, and maybe all I want to know, unless this leads to other recoveries.

The standard procedure in California, is whenever a stolen firearm is recovered by a Police Department, the person from whom it was stolen has to apply to the CA DOJ for approval to have the firearm released to them. When the CA DOJ sends the approval letter (of course this must be after they run a check on the person applying), the DOJ approval letter must be taken to the PD that controls the stolen firearm. The PD runs your Drivers License to verify you can own firearms, and then they release it to you. Of course if it is a handgun, unless it is registered to you, with the CA DOJ, you can never recover it.

Gyrene VSM - OFC

semper fi

`

Default Recovered

When I was with the Maricopa County SO 30 some years ago my 380 PPK backup gun was stolen from my car on a Friday. I reported it to my dispatch, wrote up a DR with my serial number and name as the victim and logged it into NCIC the same day. On Tuesday I recieved a call from a Detective with Phoenix PD who stated, to my suprise, he had my PPK. It had been recovered on Sunday during a preplanned drug raid on a house. That afternoon I went down to his office and they took a Poloroid of me holding the gun for evidence and returned it to me.

Friday stolen, Sunday recovered, Tuesday returned, has to be a world record. I still have the gun.

So HPD sent me a letter. Another of my stolen rifles was recovered.
    New method of recovery is to show at court at the appointed time.
    Night court and I meet two Gaveston Harbor PO's.
    One had bought the Universal .30 carbine "from an old boy in a powered chair".
    When he cleaned it and ran the serial #, he was agast and turned it in.
    When the court approved, I picked it up from the HPD warehouse and gave it to the Calveston PO.
    I think it was 16 years since that rifle was in my possesion.
    One guy at this court got his Colt 1911 stolen from his truck when he was working summers during college, and he now was approaching retirement with the Texas State ATB.
    Another fellowed recovered his deceased Father's pistol, stolen 40 years previously.
    Keep the Serial numbers and make that report!
    Paul in Houston.

I worked with a guy who had a WInchester model 70 stolen in 1968. About 1990 it was recovered. He knew who stole it it was neighbor kid. Well the gun was in CO guy brought it in to a gunsmith for a new scope and he ran the numbers. After he got the rifle back he sold it back to the guy in CO who had had it for over 20 years never suspecting it was stolen. Oh it had a nicer scope on it then when it was stolen.

The Universal .30 carbine bought by the Galveston PO who did the right thing?
    I gave him the rifle. We wrote several papers to cover the transfer.
    Six months later he sent a check for what he had paid the "guy in a power chair".
    I called and his son told me to cash the check, his Dad retired for medical reasons.
    Paul

I searched out the Gunbroker ads for Johnson rifles, and they had a parts kit and a Johnson rifle. Neither were mine though.

I have tried to log on to Gunbroker, but it seems to not like me. I tried resetting the password, and it locked me out for too many tries on the first try. I tried to register as a new user and it would not allow it. My guess is that I am not wanted on Gunbroker. Cest la vie, they can do fine without my participation.

10. Default

I had a cheap Brazilian made 20 ga. that I bought for my wife to see if she would be interested in hunting with me. (wasn't interested but still hit 2 of 3 birds her first and only time out). I customized the stock to better fit her. Stored the gun in a pole barn on some property I owned. Got a call that someone had broken in and stolen it along with several tools. A few months later a neighbor said that he thought he knew who the thief was. It seems some local yayhoo got the bright idea to shoot up a drug house in town in a drive by. The stupid SOB didn't realize that it was under surveillance. I called and described the gun and it's customized stock to the sheriff who said "I think we have it." I had already had been reimbursed by my ins. co so after a visual ID told them to keep it. They used the theft from my pole barn as a lever in getting him to agree to a guilty plea. At least I got some satisfaction that the thief had to pay with jail time. RB