Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Cool Scout-Sniping by Periscope

Anyone know where I can find a copy (digital or hard cover) of "Scout-Sniping" by Periscope, 1918? I found one, but it was in a military personnel file and I couldn't (and wouldn't) take it.

Jim

Found this. Looks like all the info on the book. Might be easier to find this way.

"Periscope." Scout-Sniping. London: Gals, 1918. 118 p. U220P47

I didn't see the one above, but there are a lot of WWI sniper manuals you can dowload on this site. Maybe some might be an interest to you.

http://www.ultimatesniper.com/page.cfm?SID=314

Shooter5 Guest

Try Bruce Canfield. Since he published the section on the Cameron-Yaggi Trench Periscope" pg 82-90 in his book on the 1903 he may have other information.
    Last edited by Shooter5; 09-18-2010 at 02:17.

Google books has the first 32 pages for viewing. One view they have a dummy's head on a stick that they put up over the trench. It even has a cigarette in its mouth that they take puffs on from a rubber tube. They used it to draw sniper fire so they could locate the snipers.

5. Default

Thanks, Rick. I had tried Google Books before with no success. If you want to read the war story of one of America's greatest snipers, read "No Hard feelings", by John Lewis Barkley. You won't be able to stop reading. He won the MOH.

Jim

6. Default Couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Google books has the first 32 pages for viewing. One view they have a dummy's head on a stick that they put up over the trench. It even has a cigarette in its mouth that they take puffs on from a rubber tube. They used it to draw sniper fire so they could locate the snipers.
    I can't find it on Google Books with any preview. What did you type in for the search?

Jim

Made a mistake on this one Jim. I can't get it to preview either. What I was getting was another book with scout snipe periscope in the search window. Will see if I can get it to email to you.

Going to take the No Hard feelings book back to the library today and offer to make a donation if they will sell it. Then I will try and get a copy of Scout-Sniper by Periscope on the lending Library system.

8. Default

Bear in mind that books sells retail for $700.

Jim

Going to offer $100 if they will donate it to the Marine Corps project. The book is owned by the Army so I don't know if they will or not. It just never hurts to ask. You might get your face slapped more times than not but every now and then you get lucky.

If you guys get a chance to visit the WWI Liberty Memorial & Museums in KC, Mo do so.

They have displayed almost every weapon issued by the US, Great Brit, & quite a bit of French & German gear, plus field pieces, planes, mortars, multiple periscopes, a German torpedo, ambulances, trench art etc etc etc.

Took the 11 year old grandson to it last year, he needed to learn that freedom isn't free & see where 1 of his great great grandpas foughts & several of his great great uncles.

They have a good lil cafe too & proceeds from the tickets go to upkeep & acquiring new items. A leading machine gun collector & his wife just gave them their collection to add to the great ones they already had.

da gimp