Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

Parallax was the same then as now. Due to the low power of the scope it was not as much of a problem, but was present. The shooter could have set his scope to be parallax free at 100, 200 or whatever yardage he preferred, but it was not readily adjustable. As mentioned the problem gets worse as the power goes up, so your Unertl scope has a focusing ring on the front to eliminate parallax at the distance you are shooting.
    The Leupold Mark 4 M3 has side focusing for parallax adjustment.

no argument at all!!
    and it is amazing how well the parallax can be adjusted out of the picture

the unertl is used with a family gun and that is a 1903 heavy barrel rifle been in family for many many years

I have shot this 03 in competition and it shoots quite well, i was able to shoot a clean at 600 with lyman 48 sights shot a 200/12...

when the unertl added it really can shoot well, my grandfather built this rifle and he used a old style adj sling attach using steel plate with adj threaded holes to move sling swivel, it took a piece of rod, threaded it and adj it with file to accept harris bi pod. did it without modification of the original rifle
    Man, when i put the bipod to it and got prone it really became quite a rifle, barrel is original douglas from 30's great numbers on guage and it does shoot, has the buttplate of the times Neidnor (sp) and it can be a shoulder cruncher, but that was what was done in the 30's, i have not shot it with bipod at any longer than 600, but with the unertl scope at 22 power can read mirage and put crosshairs to adj for windage and keep the rounds in X ring with not too much difficulty.

i am looking forward to shooting the "forged" 03A4 with Hornady loads, same ones used at Perry, and i have made up some of what i think is damn close to the same round with nosler bullets

should be fun

Pelago, johnny's explanations of parallax are right on the mark. If its really noticeable on your Alaskan you might try adjusting the focus.

1. Position the rifle so the scope is pointed toward a clear view of the sky and loosen the focussing locking ring.
    2. Hold your head away from the scope and look at the sky to relax your eyes.
    3. Then look quickly thru the scope and adjust the eyepiece back and forth.
    4. make the adjustments in small increments pulling your eye away from the scope and looking at the sky to relax your eye.
    5. when the reticle is in sharp focus tighten the locking ring.

Lets us know how you make out.

Jim

i have done that, and as of yet have not really shot it, the rifle shot well, now probably this week will start with the scope.

want to get a good zero at 200 yards, then make a card out as far as i can go, can shoot up to 1k at butner, but probably will never shoot it longer than 600

especially want to be ready for the "Vintage Sniper" match next spring, and i have duplicated as close as possible the Hornady match Garand ammo that CMP issues, i have found that this is pretty good stuff and all of my military rifles shoot real well with this amm, i think i have duplicated it