Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mauser ser #

Anyone know what year they used 5 digit sn's? Mine is a byf 43 21XXX I on receiver and dont look like was scrubbed and restamped..
    Last edited by Embalmer; 09-03-2010 at 12:30.

1943 was the first year Mauser Oberndorf began using five digit serial numbers.

thanks for info. I never heard of 5 digit Sn's till I got this one, and was curious. I thought was a mitchell mauser renumber, but didnt look like was a recent restamp compared to floor plate.

4. Default

You can be sure that you're sitting on a rifle of some value if a dealer offered you $800 after claiming its poor condition...something ain't right there!

joe Guest

Here are some pics I took of the gun and markings. Can anyone give me an idea of what it is worth? Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

joe Guest

I posted some pics, and I appreciate any info you could provide. Thanks

The commerical proof mark in pic #2 indicates that the "Stahl Mantel Geschoss" (St.M.G.) or steel jacketed bullet used in the proof charge weighed in at 18.55grams. As you don't indicate a stamping showing the weight of the powder in the proof charge, it can be assumed that the rifle was made after 1912 or so. The double set triggers are commonly seen in guild G.I. bringbacks. Frankly, I've never seen a guild rifle without set triggers.
    With no commerical maker mark on the receiver this is very likely a "guild rifle". Mauser, and it's licensed manufacturers, sold finished (in the white) receivers bearing no commerical markers marks to the guild industry. Commercial code stampings on the underside of such receivers indicate which company made it. It's possible too that the receiver could be a well sanitized surplus WWI receiver. Such receivers will bear Imperial German military production stampings on their underside.
    The quality of guild guns varied considerably in the execution of the gunmakers art. Buyers pretty much got what they paid for. Functional rifles of lesser finish quality were made to supply the growing German middle class between the wars. I would think that if a dealer offered you $800 then you likely have a decent, quality piece. Many guild makers placed no maker mark of their own on their guns. The maker could be determined, if required, through the proof stampings on the underside of the barrel. such markings would trace the gun back to the proofhouse and the appropriate proof registration books kept there.

appears to be a solidly built Mauser guild gun, with non matching #'s. She oughta shoot pretty well, MidWayUSA had dies & brass for it, expect to pay a premium for non standard(other than 7mm & 8mm) bullets & brass.If you do your part, she'll do hers. What is your rear sight? folding express leaf by chance? Were there ever scope bases installed?

da gimp

Mine is a mannlicker stocked 20"barrel carbine, built on what looks like a WW1 Kar 98 action (small ring). checkered stock, butt plate has entwined S's plastic or some such. No name on rifle but all the usual barrel stamps. Sorry, can not do pics on the internet, a skill I have not learned.

joe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by da gimp View Post
    appears to be a solidly built Mauser guild gun, with non matching #'s. She oughta shoot pretty well, MidWayUSA had dies & brass for it, expect to pay a premium for non standard(other than 7mm & 8mm) bullets & brass.If you do your part, she'll do hers. What is your rear sight? folding express leaf by chance? Were there ever scope bases installed?

da gimp
    It has a folding rear sight. All the serial #'s match on the bolt, receiver, barrell, and safety. Thank you for your help.