sjb0708 Guest

Default Anyone know much about the yugo MG-42s

Just bought a MG 42 for the WW II collection if i read right the stamp is dated 1943 the butt stock is stamped 1937. I also had a Mauser that was Yugo same looking stamp were these used by the germans in WW II or did the soviets use these. Would love some knowledge thanks

At the end of WWII, the Russian army captured millions of German small arms and munitions. Most of these were refurbished and either issued to Soviet Bloc troops or put into strategic war reserves for future use. Almost all of the German small arms you see advertised today are those weapons. The best part is that the Russians did such a great job preserving all that stuff.
    Bob - Southern Indiana Chapter OFC

Bob, in the Gun Talk forum there is a recent discussion of the M-60 v MG-42 I erronouusly said I thought the MG-42 had a handle on the barrel to facilitate hot barrel changes. Looking at your picture I see I was wrong. Could you post pics of the barrel change procedure for our edification?Is your 42 a "live" class III or is it semi/dewat? Thanks, Nick

The barrel change on an MG42 is a right-handed affair. It would appear the assistant gunner would swap out the barrel after a set time and/or amount of ammo was expended downrange. Simple and apparently robust system.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Yep...hit latch , grab bbl with mitt or glove or hook with the end of a belt , yank her out to cool ( Russian snow was good for this ) , slip in fresh bbl , slap her closed. Could be done quicker than you read how .
    Chris

Question

The Yougo M53 has a few differences with the MG 42. I can tell yours is an M 53 because there is no mount on top of the bbl jacket for the AA sight.
    Since the M 53s were built after the Korean War - 1953 - 56 approx - I don't know what you are referring to with the 1943 & 1937?
    Bbl change on an MG 42 or M 53 was 12 seconds for an experienced gun crew.
    Sarge
    Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281.AHC Assoc & CAF

sjb0708 Guest

i had looked at the crest that was stamp and inside it has 1943 and on my butt stock has 1937 about 1inc tall stamped into it. wasnt sure if it made any sense. My mauser also had the same crest and date as the MG 53. Thanks for the help guys

Question

Well, since you have a camera - How about some photos of these markings so we have a half assed idea what you are talking about! From your description I don't have a clue!
    Sarge
    Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281.AHC Assoc & CAF