Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo what's your trick?

I think the title says it all.

KTK

Right after I fire the last shot, I have a bottle of Windex with extra amonia and run two or three wet patches through the bore. After that a dry patch, then a oil patch. Never had a bit of rust in the barrel.

Hot soapy water. The salts are water soluble & the soap increases solubility. Ammonia but itself does not dissolve the salts; the water carrier does. If you use Windex, add Dawn or another good dish soap. If you use hot water, the heat imparted to the metal helps dry it out. Follow up with a good lube/protectant afterwards.
    We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target of opportunity?

- Maj. Kong

I have some USGI bore cleaner for corrosive ammunition. After shooting, while still at the range, I run a patch soaked with the GI bore cleaner throught the bore frome the breach. After I get home I run two patches soaked with soapy water through the bore each followed by a dry patch and then clean the bore as I normally would.
    Last edited by Art; 07-27-2010 at 09:29.

Blog Entries

A good scrubbing with hot soapy water (same as with a muzzle loader) and after a dry patch or two;then an oily patch and muzzle down in the safe.
    Festus

No trick here, just clean with hot soapy water or the old U.S. G.I. bore solvent. If I am at the range and have the old solvent with me I run a couple of wet patches through the hot barrel and let it soak until I get home.

Regards

BudT

Oh well, get a funnel,(metal) stick it in the arse end of the barrel, Pour boiling hot water down the barrel. Every barrel has microscopic cracks in it, the primer salts are driven into those cracks, the hot water expands the cracks and washes out the salts. The hot barrel will evaporate any remaining water, Clean with your favourite bug juice afterwards. This system worked for the Brits for over 80 years, and they had a funnel designed for just that purpose
    Note on the SKS, while the barrel is chrome lined, the gas tube is NOT.

hot soapy water right after shooting first cleaning right on range have thermo of hot water for tea sve about three oz and have a small plastice jar with liguid soap in range box

I went to college with a lot of Korean war vets, and one was in charge of ordnance at the local National Guard armory. He had a problem with ammo, as they were issued a certain amount, and supposed to fire it for training purposes. The quantity was monitored carefully.

This created a problem, as some personnel would miss the range sessions for one reason or other. This created a surplus of ammo, which did not look good when they were audited.

The solution, either dump it in the river, or give it to someone who would shoot it. The result, and almost endless supply of WWII era ammo.

I fired thousands of rounds through my 03, and cleaned it each time by first using Hoppes to get the normal fouling out, then with hot soapy water, followed by running very hot clean water through the bore.

I still have the rifle, it still has a good shiny bore, so this method must work.

I have tried the old type GI cleaner, and it works, but smells so bad I hate to use it.

I am not so sure about the more modern GI cleaner, as it may not be designed to clean corrosive salts, as there has been no corrosive primed ammo for many years.

You are correct, modern GI solvent does not clean primer salts. The Korean war era or earlier stuff is required for that. Quantities of the stuff are obviously limited and I only use the supply I have for use on the range.

Our son who likes accoutrements as much as I do actually has a small can that is made to fit into one of the pouches of an M1903 or M1 cartridge belt.