Default WWI M1917 Helmet Maker?

My M1917 helmet as the code "ZC1" under the brim. I assume that is a makers mark. If so, does any one know who the manufacturer is? Thanks.
    Last edited by cwbuff; 07-26-2010 at 12:14.
    "Man is not free unless government is limited." -- Ronald Reagan

2. Default

The steel for the M-1917 helmet was rolled by the American Sheet and Tin Plate Company. The steel was then pressed and stamped into its bowl shape by seven companies, which were: Edward G. Budd Manufacturing Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Sparks, Withington Company, Jackson, Michigan; Crosby Company, Buffalo, New York; Bossett Corporation, Utica, New York; Columbian Enameling & Stamping Company, Terre Haute, Indiana; Worchester Pressed Steel Company, Worchester, Massachusetts; and Benjamin Electric Company, Des Plaines, Illinois. The steel was stamped with an austenite heat number and shipment number, which were used to identify the quality of steel and shipment lots. The metal helmets and woven linings were delivered to the plant of the Ford Motor Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, were they were painted and assembled. To make the outside surface of the helmet anti-glare, the helmets were first painted, then fine sawdust was blown on the wet paint, and finally the helmet was painted again. To increase protective properties the helmets were painted in an olive drab shade.
    From here:

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/helmet17.htm

If I understand your response correctly, the mark "ZC1" is the heat number and/or shipment number and there is no way to identify which of the seven companies stamped the helmet. Do I have that right?
    "Man is not free unless government is limited." -- Ronald Reagan

"...no way to identify which..." Looks like it to me. Wouldn't surprise me either. The U.S. was so short of kit of all types, even with 3 years to prepare, a maker's mark on a helmet wouldn't have been considered important.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by 5MadFarmers View Post
    Learn something new everday,didn't know Columbian Stamping in Terre Haute,Ind. made helmets in WW1.It's about 30 miles away.