Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Question I want a Distinguished badge. What do I have to do?

I've done some Garand clinics and the last one I did I won with a M1903 just to see what I could do because even though I have two excellent Garands, me and my Mark I are on the same page. I don't own an AR platform and although I'm dubious about it's combat efficiency, there is no doubt it has the best potential accuracy. I'll buy or build one if I knew what to get. As best I can tell, there are no highpower matches within several states of me in Mississippi other that Garand and vintage bolt gun matches.

Can someone please tell me what to do to get started in highpower?
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

The shortest answer I can give you, other than moving to an area where they hold EIC matches, is to go here: http://www.usrifleteams.com/
    Register and go to the National Match forum on the website where you can read a subsection that tells newbies all they need to know about shooting high power.

JohnnyM Guest

The Distinguished Marksmanship program is administered by the CMP or the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Go to the CMP website for information about equipment, matches, rules, times, dates, etc. Shoot as many matches as you can. Be prepared to spend ungodly amounts of time and money.

Practice practice practice, there are 4 folks in our club , (Bucksnort Rifle & Pistol, Marshall, Mo.) that are rated DM's, and that's their advice.

da gimp

Blog Entries

I've been doing that today! I've also been in contact with two DM's, Clyde Morgan and Doug Bowser. Thanks, guys
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Blog Entries

Philip,

The Central Arkansas Gun Club is a very active club that holds monthly highpower matches. Their matches are held at Camp Robinson just outside North Little Rock, AR. To be competitive you will need an AR15 based rifle. That is what most match winners are shooting. Check your email for a point of contact for the CAGC.

Herschel S. Garner
    Distinguished Rifleman, 1967

7. Default

Phillip,

There are highpower matches (but no EIC matches) at Bogue Chitto, MS. These matches are run by Doug Bowser, but were not terribly well organized the last time I attended. There are also monthly matches at Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club in Donaldsonville, LA. They are on the 3rd Saturday of each month and are very well run. The match director is Jay Hunt - jdhunt3@louisianashooting.com . The LA state championship and EIC match are the 3rd weekend of October. I know at least 1 person who is coming from Jackson to that match.

Also, are you sure Doug is Distinguished? I didn't think he was.

Dan
    DR1827

8. Default

Oh, and the shortest way to a DR badge is with an AR.

Quote Originally Posted by dzelenka View Post
    Oh, and the shortest way to a DR badge is with an AR.
    What he said. In 1998 I looked down the line at Camp Perry and counted less than 7 non-AR's. None of the Nat'l Champions shoot M1 Rifles and haven't since forever. That's not to say I don't love 'em. I do. But to go distinguished? You're right: You need an AR. I'm nowhere near shooting Distinguished (I'm Expert and on occasion have shot Master scores) and I have enormous respect for those who have received the DR. You have to shoot like a machine in all weather conditions. I recommend you get a White Oak Armament NM AR. www.whiteoakarmament.com
    Oh yeah, get a Dillon 550 and LOTS of match ammo components. You're going to need them. Good luck! H.
    Last edited by Hunter; 08-26-2010 at 05:35.
    "If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton

"Fat people make lousy revolutionaries" - Me

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info on Donaldsonville, I drove through there last year. I guess was mistaken about Doug. Clyde is an NRA lifetime high master in highpower and a distiguished badge. He has a practical rifle course he's doing next month that I will attend.

I'll buy an AR, either the white oak or the RRA when I come up with some scratch, but just to get my feet wet and figure out what I'm doing I don't see a problem with the M1. It's amazing that an AR can shoot rings around an M1A for less than half the money.

dzelenka, Where are you located?
    Last edited by PhillipM; 08-26-2010 at 06:45.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)