Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Very interesting and congrats on a great career.

Aggies make pretty damn good military men and have a great deal of highly admirable war fighting tradition. Like VMI it is rated as a service academy not just a university with ROTC.

However, there is a big tradition of hazing which I am not sure they have shaken yet.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 03-25-2016 at 07:45.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    Very interesting and congrats on a great career.

Aggies make pretty damn good military men and have a great deal of highly admirable war fighting tradition. Like VMI it is rated as a service academy not just a university with ROTC.

However, there is a big tradition of hazing which I am not sure they have shaken yet.
    I just figured something out about the differences between Summer Camp 1969 and those that followed. In 1969, we were treated like dirt. We didn't get to go to the O Club or anything like that. We weren't in barracks with running water, etc. In 1970, and afterwards, the Army realized that they needed to be nicer and kinder to the Cadets if they wanted to keep them. The first draft lottery was history. Time for a change.

I didn't go on active duty until 1971. I attended Infantry Officer's Basic Course (IOBC 18-71). We were the group to have our entire IOBC under the nicer and kinder.

Previous to our class, every morning IOBC began at 0530 with a roll call assembly. Everyone was marched into the mess hall for breakfast. After breakfast, another roll call, and then the one mile run to Infantry Hall for classes. Run back to mess hall. Have lunch. Run back to Infantry Hall for more classes. After classes, run back to mess hall, have dinner, roll call and then dismissed about 1900. This was the schedule unless their were field problems or range time, etc. Five days a week. Saturday, roll call, breakfast, run to Infantry Hall, classes, run back to mess hall, lunch, roll call, dismissed.

Our class was more like college. You received a training schedule on Friday for the week following. If there were classes, you were given the building and a report time. Ranges, field exercises were the same as previous. Meals at the mess hall were optional which was nice if you had brought your wife and were living off post. No, none, not any Saturday classes. Unless there was a three day field problem (we had maybe three of those), no mandatory classes on Wednesday afternoon. There were optional classes where you could learn to drive an APC, things like that. It was my understanding that cutting out the back and forth runs alone was enough to cut out the Saturday and Wednesday afternoon classes.

Default Pictures from the Army album at Camp Eagle 1970

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgSome photos from the 1970 Album the Army produced