Default M1 Helmets at the antique store today.

Walked into the local antique stoore today to find two M1 helmets for sale, no liners though.

Both swivel bale, front seam, one with original sewn on chin strap, other with OD bale clips.

One is green, McChord manf, other is a gray Schleuter, with number 172 stenciled onthe front, and owner's name stenciled front back and top. His name was Jack Carpenter.

Paid 35 dollars for the pair...

Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

Sounds like you did fine. Which Antique store are you talking about? I don't live that far away from you. And I may have an extra liner too.

Don't remeber the name, but it is on Northwest Ave in Bellingham. I went by several yesterday from Blaine to Everett and back, ANY militaria is getting hard to find anywhere. I still remember going into those oldstyle surplus stores back in the 1970's where stuff was just piled in bins, and the unique smell those stores had, I believe it was from the MRT treatment on all that old canvas.....

Where are you at Duane?

I will say, between you and John, I can't find a decent deal on a M1911/A1 around here. But then deals on any milsurp guns is scarce anymore. I went into Kesselrings the other day to see if there were any milsurps in there, none on the shelf. I asked one of the salesmen if there were any in back that they didn't have room for up front, and he said "We don't deal in THAT CRAP anymore."!!! I showed him the 8 one hundred dollar bills in my wallet and told him I'd just have to by my crap somewhere else from now on.
    Last edited by Hal O'Peridol; 07-16-2010 at 03:58.

Getting the liners has gotten to be the real problem. I have three M1 helmets of various eras but the suspension of the liners is shot. I can either rebuild the liners from a kit :-( which would involve buying not only the materials but a tool to set the gromets, or buying restored liners for about $100.00 each, or haunting the flea markets and hoping to get "lucky."

I could have bought a helmet and a liner at a "Used Furniture" store here two weeks ago for $20 but I don't collect helmets. The liner was complete and the helmet had it's straps too.
    Bob - Southern Indiana Chapter OFC

Hi Bob..... the problem with the M1 helmet is the length of time and numbers manufactured. If the helmet you saw was a typical late Vietnam/Coldwar style and made helmet, 20 bucks is about all it was worth. Even the WWII helmets vary greatly in price according to many factors, style of rim, style of bale, refinished, unit markings, etc.

BTW, I'll be in Louisville the middle of August. Perhaps we could meet at Shorty's?

Sounds great! I'll buy the tenderloins. My email is real so let me know when you're getting close to leaving for Louisville.
    Bob - Southern Indiana Chapter OFC

8. Default

Hello all. After reading this thread may I suggest that you take a look at www.shopgoodwill.com. They have some helmets and liners up for auction. Who knows, you might find something you're looking for. I know from past experience that they usually don't know what they're selling.

Joe