View Poll Results: When/ where did you serve?

Voters
179. You may not vote on this poll
  • WW 2

2 1.12%
  • Korea

7 3.91%
  • Viet Nam

84 46.93%
  • Gulf War 1991

25 13.97%
  • Somalia

3 1.68%
  • Bosnia

12 6.70%
  • Afghanistan

14 7.82%
  • Iraq

33 18.44%
  • Other

59 32.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

USAF 1960 to 1964 mostly with the 449th Bomb Wing (SAC) Kincheloe AFB, Michigan but TDY many times. I was home on leave when the Cuban Missile Crisis broke, got a telegram from the Pentagon "Report to your duty station by first available transportation". We were on alert for a month or more. I remember standing guard at a hanger entrance with an M2 carbine with 10 rounds in the mag. Would have been a short battle on auto.
    I was TDY at Wright-Patterson the day the B-29 "BOCKSCAR" was flown in to the Air Force Museum. I got inside for a look around.

Never shot at or slept in a foxhole but hope my small contribution helped keep the Soviets on their side of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by w4rf View Post
    Never shot at or slept in a foxhole but hope my small contribution helped keep the Soviets on their side of the world.
    w4rf, trust me, you didn't miss anything!

"For Dan Shapiro: While in Phu Bai, did you ever run into a 6'4' tall RO by the name of Dunn? He was kind of dorky looking then an scared chitless sometimes. "

Don't recall the name. Biggest guy in our hootch was Jack Morresette (could have played linebacker for Green Bay) - and he was scared #$@ of bugs. We were TAD to night perimeter guard. I'd kick Morresette's rack to wake him as I went to get cleaned up in the afternoon. He'd mumble, but wouldn't get up until I got back, then he'd have to rush to catch up in time for chow. After a couple of days listening to his bitching about my not waking him, I kicked his rack one afternoon and yelled "catch" as I threw a cockroach on his chest. Next thing I knew he was chasing me down the company street yelling that he'd kill me. At least he got up on time for once.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Default Coastie

United States Coast Guard...operation Market Time...TAD Nam 66, Photographer.....not good times but we did it...and survived.. Semper Paratus

USS Independence 65-69. Not much of a Navy Man my only goal was to do my time and get back to civilian life.

Can you believe my recruiter lied to me? Was promised aircraft engine school and shore duty. Instead I was assigned the Cat Crew of the Independence and did 3 year 9 months and 22 days of sea duty. Thought I would be stuck on the Cats for the my entire enlistment but because of my test scores I was offered my choice of schools a year later. I took Photography because it was the longest school and the closest thing to shore duty.

When I read what a lot of you have done I'm a little ashamed of myself. My only defence is I was young. Joined when I turned 17 to be in a war and ended up spit polishing for endless white glove inspections. Might be some truth that God watches out for fools and young stupid people.

ESS Eldorado AGC-11 (Phib Pac) 1957-1959. Gun Fire Control Tech FT3. "Kiddie Cruiser", in for 3 years total.

Have not heard Kiddie Cruiser for a long time.

When I was mustering out I was told there would be a month to 6 weeks delay. This would put me into September or early October 1969 discharge. I was turning 21 on the 4th of August. I told the discharge people I didn't care what they did my enlistment was up on my 21st birthday and I was leaving if they had papers or not. They cut me loose about a week early.

A Kiddie Cruiser had to be signed in by his parents because he was a minor at 17 years old. When you turned 21 you were a legal adult and your parents consent was null and void.

Dang what would they call call a 17 yr. old who joined the Army durning Vietnam. An I better not see the word dum or stupid or the black coated guys will visit with a thousand camel fleas.

How about a true Patriot that stood up for his country at a young.

What did you think about the college bunch demonstrating and the draft dodgers going to Canada?

Thumbs up

USNR - 6 Jun 53 to May 58 (at 17). NAS Olathe, Ks and NAS St. Louis Mo.
    Assigned to VF 886 with F4U-4 Corsairs, later got F9F-6 Cougars. Plane Captain on both.
    Got tired of working on them and watching someone else fly them so transferred to VP 881 in 1957 as Ordnance man and started flying aircrew on PB4Y-2 Privateers.
    usaf - May 58 to Sep 58. Went to flight school, got thrown out because I had hay fever.
    Thanks to the F--n hair farce and the way they coded my 214, I spent 3 yrs out.
    Colo Army NG - Sep 61 to May 64. Joined a unit activated for the Berlin Wall crisis. They needed bodies and conveniently over looked the RE 4 code on my af 214 (I also had a 4F draft card). Ended up working full time Guard in Colo & Mo. Couldn't hack the pansy asses in the Mo guard so -
    May 64 - Apr 68 back in the Navy and back on flying status, on P2V Neptune’s this time.
    Volunteered 3 times for RVN, 1st denied, no reason. 2nd ships company in an attack sqdn - I wanted VP 31 flying Neptune’s in RVN & they said no so I told them to shove it. 3rd time for the brown water Navy and they said no because I was an aviation rate.
    1 May 68 reenlistment time found me joining another Army Guard unit, this one was being activated for RVN. I even picked up on stripe on this switch - E5 to E6.
    again couldn't stand that bunch of draft dodging cry baby SOBs so
    13 Sep 68 - Reenlisted RA for Special Forces.
    19 Aug 69 Arrived at SF HQ in Nha Trang. I had Finally made it!!!
    26 Mar 70 wounded and Medivaced to the states, arrived on 1 May. Short tour!
    9 Sep 71 - disability retirement from the Army. 15 yrs, 2 months and a few days - down the tubes!!
    See what persistence will do for you!
    Sarge
    Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281.AHC Assoc & CAF