Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

It seems like years ago; I was at the local gun parts store when the owner was demonstrating a bore snake on a shot gun, I was impressed. It looked like he was pulling a feather duster through the bore. I do not know why but I said something like; "I make things like that but I use them on rifles like 25 Cal., 30 Cal. and bigger bores.

F. Guffey

Bore snakes, pull thru's, what ever, were issued by many countries to their troops, for use when a rod was not available. They were and are a secondary cleaning method. But companies have come up with ad's and perhaps slight differences and are making money from people who like something new and get sold a bill of goods! A muzzle guide does away with any muzzle problem, if two fingers do not work!
    Never use Alum. or jointed rods, only stainless one piece!
    Last edited by dave; 11-29-2016 at 01:54.
    You can never go home again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aligater View Post
    Hoppe's makes two kinds: The Viper and the Regular Bore Snake..........The Viper ain't worth a damn...takes a gorilla to pull it through and then it has a tendency to break with the pulling....now you have a big problem trying to get a stuck snake out of your bore.....happened to me pulling a Viper through an '03.
    How did you remove it?

Happy OTIS user.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Bore snakes, pull thru's, what ever...
    Never use Alum. or jointed rods, only stainless one piece!
    In the old days we ground the joints smooth and or we taped them and then we decided the rod should be pulled not pushed, and then one day a shooter called and complained about his bore snake stuck in the barrel. That was about the time I thought about my bore cleaner outer. It is impossible to lock up, come loose, touch the bore in the middle or either end and if it ever gets stuck I can take it apart in the bore.

Bore snakes, pull thru's, what ever, were issued by many countries to their troops,
    But if countries issued whatever to their troops I can understand why there is no interest. I did have a few in the family that came back with aluminum chains and cord with lead weights.

And then there was this picture that won an award, the picture had nothing to do with armorers but I found it interesting.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 11-30-2016 at 04:46.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Want to guess what they used to clean Enfield rifles? Only back then they were called "pull throughs"
    I remember when Jim Keenan used to post on CSP. He said in his time in as an armorer he begged the NCOs to instruct the troops to never use a thong because when the jute string breaks, its a serious problem. He went on to say in his position he couldn't officially order them not to be used because they were on the list of approved equipment.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

6. Default

After that they were left with bump sticks causing a problem with the taper at the muzzle? The kit at the time was soldier proof, gravity pulled the lead sinker through the barrel and the sinker was smaller in diameter than the bore. And then there was the brush, the brush only got smaller as it was used and from the start it was small enough in diameter. I have a few of the old cords that still work. But again, I make bore cleaners, they are impossible to lock up, jam or cause an obstruction, even if they did I can take them apart while in the bore.

And then there is that part about having nothing to remove an obstruction.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 12-04-2016 at 09:52.

While I use cleaning rods, all of my Enfields have a pull through in the butt as well as the oil bottle. (brass for the No1's and plastic for the No4's)

8. Default

Gents,

This poster is trying to leverage you out of the dark ages and get your attention: The Otis approach is the way to go. Forget about Pull Thru devices issued to troops, you are concerned about bore maintenance to preserve your bore and accuracy for a life time. For your purposes and mine, taking best care of bores is the end state.

I retired all my Dewey rods and brushes ten years ago. I use the Otis cables and patches to clean my bores
    and I use state of art chemical to dissolve fouling and copper. Every 300 rds, I pull a patch of Patch Out (Midway and others sell this liquid), through the bore and let sit over night...it takes out about 90% of copper and all carbon from bore. My rifles like a bit of copper in bore for accuracy. Yes, I could run another patch of Patch Out in the bore if I wanted bore to be surgical clean but as said I like a bit of copper in bore. After such a treatment and right up to the next 300 round count fired, I merely pull a wet patch of CLP or Ballistol down the bore after range firing and leave it. Pull that out with 3 or 4 dry patches with the Otis cable before I head to range and shoot.

This is simple. This is fool proof. This has zero risk to bores and muzzles. Consider the Otis cable and
    this approach.

Bore cleaning : this is a ritual that is hard to change minds about. Doing things the old way ...rodding bores and dragging brushes and ill fitting patches....yeah, you can and probably will but really, theres a simple easy way if you will open your minds.

Of course the Hoppes , Eds Red, Sweets 762 etc etc crowd will roll up and shout "Heresy"...but they're the same crew that denied gravity, round earth, sythetic engine oil and probably scotch tape. An open mind goes a long way.

As to the bore snake...half great idea if you think about it but my mind is closed on them: saw one break on a soldier in Iraq and his M4 was inoperative...... not something wonderful at all !! Won't happen with a Otis cable or an old fashion ram rod. Bore snakes have risk in my opinion and I won't chance a wad of crap stuck in any bore of mine and to prevent that, I won't consider a bore snake whatsoever.

and Yes, in Iraq, I used a Otis cable , CLP and since I had no Patch Out, I did pull a brush down bore but that was in a combat zone. Nowadays, my rigor in shooting is hauling weapons from truck to firing line and I don't have to make do with what basic tools the military issues , I have a choice and use better tools to clean my weapons. Choice is a wonderful thing.

So...stop the Voo Doo and rituals...Otis is the way to go.
    Last edited by BlitzKrieg; 07-16-2017 at 06:26.

I agree, Otis is the way to go.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzKrieg View Post
    Gents,

This poster is trying to leverage you out of the dark ages and get your attention: The Otis approach is the way to go. Forget about Pull Thru devices issued to troops, you are concerned about bore maintenance to preserve your bore and accuracy for a life time. For your purposes and mine, taking best care of bores is the end state.

I retired all my Dewey rods and brushes ten years ago. I use the Otis cables and patches to clean my bores
    and I use state of art chemical to dissolve fouling and copper. Every 300 rds, I pull a patch of Patch Out (Midway and others sell this liquid), through the bore and let sit over night...it takes out about 90% of copper and all carbon from bore. My rifles like a bit of copper in bore for accuracy. Yes, I could run another patch of Patch Out in the bore if I wanted bore to be surgical clean but as said I like a bit of copper in bore. After such a treatment and right up to the next 300 round count fired, I merely pull a wet patch of CLP or Ballistol down the bore after range firing and leave it. Pull that out with 3 or 4 dry patches with the Otis cable before I head to range and shoot.

This is simple. This is fool proof. This has zero risk to bores and muzzles. Consider the Otis cable and
    this approach.

Bore cleaning : this is a ritual that is hard to change minds about. Doing things the old way ...rodding bores and dragging brushes and ill fitting patches....yeah, you can and probably will but really, theres a simple easy way if you will open your minds.

Of course the Hoppes , Eds Red, Sweets 762 etc etc crowd will roll up and shout "Heresy"...but they're the same crew that denied gravity, round earth, sythetic engine oil and probably scotch tape. An open mind goes a long way.

As to the bore snake...half great idea if you think about it but my mind is closed on them: saw one break on a soldier in Iraq and his M4 was inoperative...... not something wonderful at all !! Won't happen with a Otis cable or an old fashion ram rod. Bore snakes have risk in my opinion and I won't chance a wad of crap stuck in any bore of mine and to prevent that, I won't consider a bore snake whatsoever.

and Yes, in Iraq, I used a Otis cable , CLP and since I had no Patch Out, I did pull a brush down bore but that was in a combat zone. Nowadays, my rigor in shooting is hauling weapons from truck to firing line and I don't have to make do with what basic tools the military issues , I have a choice and use better tools to clean my weapons. Choice is a wonderful thing.

So...stop the Voo Doo and rituals...Otis is the way to go.
    When our son's Ranger unit was deployed I sent him my cleaning kit, a complete Otis with a bottle of Kroil #9 and Sweet's 7.62. He said the kit came in handy many times. I tossed everything I had the first time that I used my Otis, it is almost idiot proof[nothing is 100%].
    Sam