Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

I use bore snakes at the range and when home I use foam bore cleaner - spare the rod and spoil the bore.

The main problem with a bore snake is not keeping it clean and not pulling it straight and rubbing the end of the bore. The armourers on the Enfield rifle would call this damage cord wear, meaning the dirty pull through or bore snake can act like sand paper when dirty.

The British pored two pints of boiling water down the bore to remove the carbon and corrosive salts from the primers after shooting. Then the pull through was use to oil the bore, of note the armourers decided when to use copper solvents to remove the copper in the bore.

I keep my bore snakes in zip lock bags and wash them frequently.

Below a fishing line bore snake for air rifles.

Air rifle barrel cleaning - easy, quick, cheap and effective
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6HtNnfNOUg
    Last edited by bigedp51; 08-17-2017 at 02:41.

2. Default

I just came back from the CMP Advanced Maintenance course. They told us to be very careful with bore snakes (they recommended against them) because they've seen several instances of them breaking off in the bore and becoming lodged in the bore. IIRC, there have been instances where nothing could remove them from the bore, and the barrel had to be replaced. I think that is because once the cord breaks, the only way to get them out is with a rod. Using a rod then can pack them more tightly in the bore, making them irretrievable.
    Last edited by XLF30; 02-24-2018 at 08:26.

I no longer use my bore snake because I didn't think it was a good idea to keep pulling all that dirt and fouling it picks up on the previous pass through the bore. I used rods until I got my hands on the Otis pull-through system. It's does a nice job and is much faster than rods. It uses coated steel cables instead of cords as the puller and the terminal ends are threaded so separation is nearly impossible unless the user forgets to tighten them. There's nothing to bunch up and become lodged inside the bore so the terminal end could theoretically be tapped out with a rod if separation did occur (never tried it).

4. Default

What is Kroil #9? Google turned up nothing...Is it a mix your own (like Ed's Red) of Kroil and Hoppe's #9? What proportion and with what benefit? Always looking for something less smelly that Butch's or Shooters Choice.
    Last edited by Chris F; 04-08-2018 at 11:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris F View Post
    What is Kroil #9? Google turned up nothing...Is it a mix your own (like Ed's Red) of Kroil and Hoppe's #9? What proportion and with what benefit? Always looking for something less smelly that Butch's or Shooters Choice.
    I found this information on Kroil, but nothing on #9. Try www.kanolabs.com. It’s a penetrating oil so it will probably have an ability to react with metal fouling.
    Last edited by Merc; 04-12-2018 at 06:06.

Have routinely used Bore Snakes on my rifles. They work very well. Not designed for be all to end all cleaning. But, do fine for wiping out the bore between relays, etc. Keep one in my pocket when out hunting. Years ago, took a slip down a bank into some water/mud. Hard to clean a barrel w/ no rod, etc. Was carrying a M-1 that morning. Got it clean enough to finish the day with a very nice deer. Afterward, always have cleaning materials in zip lock bag. The Otis system is fine. No knocks against it. But, simply don't see any need for a full cleaning kit when out in the field or at a match. The Bore Snake works fine. It is no bother to use. Put it in the washing machine at the house and it comes out nice and clean. If the cord gets worn, it's no big deal to throw it away and buy another one. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Want to guess what they used to clean Enfield rifles? Only back then they were called "pull throughs"
    There was a time they used lead on the end of a string to get it started and that still works, And then there were rifles that came with a soft metal chain, I still have a few of those.

F. Guffey