dbw86

.45 colt 1911

Rate this Entry
In May 1963 my dad, a WWI 2 twice wounded Vet, took me to Fishman's Pawn Shop in Springfield, Ill and told me to pick out a pistol for my 22nd Birthday. I debated between a Lugar and a .45 and my dad told me his .45 in the war never jammed or failed once so I took the .45. Dad knew Mr. Fishman from way back and when he discovered it was my birthday present on my way to Vietnam he marked it down to $45.00. It was "tightened up" by a USMC Armorer in Vietnam and then in Okinawa I had the parkerized flat finish buffed off and blued with the rear upper portion of the barrel/chamber which is visible through the ejection port, jeweled for all for $15.00. I carried it in plain clothes and often off duty later while police officer and always fired in the top 5 scores, if not top on my agency. The serial number of this weapons is 288680. The left side of the Frame is stamped, "UNITED STATES PROPERTY". The left side of the Slide is stamped with the Colt Horse and "COLT'S P.T. F.A. MFG CO. and ten in the 2nd/lower line "HARTFORD. CT. U.S.A." The stamp "PATENTED APR. 20, 1897. SEPT 9, 1902," then in the 2nd/lower line "DEC 19,1905. FEB.14,1911. AUG 19, 1913/. On the right side of the slide of the Frame it is stamped back near the wooden grip with the serial number, “No288680”. The right side of the Slid is stamped “MODEL OF 1911. U.S.ARMY”

I don’t intend to sell this weapon, but am a bit interested in the approximate value of it. Unlike most .45’s when held in the hand and shaken hard this one has no rattles in it and is as accurate as you can hold, align the fine bladed signs and pull the trigger.
Tags: my 1911 Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

If. you can , pass it on to a son or other relative