PDA

View Full Version : bad ammo??

ches_pk
06-17-2010, 06:13
I have some Swedish surplus 6.5 x 55, which has been in storage for some time. Much (about half) of the ammo appears tarnished and corroded. I have cleaned it, and separated/discarded all rounds with anything other than surface discoloration. If the previous corrosion appears to have gone below the surface, the round has gone into the discard pile.

Two questions: Is the remainder of the ammo safe to shoot? What is the best way to dispose of the rounds that will not be shot?? Thanks, ches_pk...

Bill
06-18-2010, 06:18
If the corrosion is on the surface, and no deep pitting, the ammo may be ok. If in doubt, toss it, life is too short to take chances on a little ammo.

I would pull the bullets, spread the powder on your lawn, it makes good fertilizer. Save the bullets, someday they may be worth something to someone.

I put cases into gargage. Perhaps not politically correct, but do not see any danger to anyone.

joem
06-18-2010, 12:08
If you bought it you must have a rifle. Get a Hornady Cam Loc bullet puller and pull all the bullets. If the powder has a solvent smell discard the powder. You can get new brass and reload it. I just pulled down 1000 rounds for some friends because of bad powder that split mony cases.

leftyo
06-18-2010, 06:29
tarnish is no problem, on the other hand i wont put corroded ammo into any firearm i own. youjust dont know how thick or thin that brass is where it has corroded, IMO trash it.

Art
06-21-2010, 10:50
My method with ammunition is to get a bit of steel wool and buff the discolored/corroded spot. If the discolored/corroded material comes off easily and there is smooth clean brass under it I shoot it. If there isn't I don't.

pelago
07-09-2010, 10:43
no one asked, how many rounds we talking about

4-5000 or a couple