PDA

View Full Version : The Things We Accumulate - Part II...................

Bob - The Beagle Master
05-29-2010, 05:35
Once again those "important" thngs that the wife doesn't understand...

Dan Shapiro
05-29-2010, 05:46
Nice display of 'toothpicks'! :icon_salut:

SteveC
05-29-2010, 05:54
Very nice indeed Bob! Thanks for sharing the picture.

Bob - The Beagle Master
05-29-2010, 06:23
The third one up from the bottom on the left side was carried by my uncle in North Africa, Scicilly, Italy, France and Germany during WWII. I had to steal it out of my grandmother's gardening box. She was using it to loosen the dirt around flowers.

Dan Shapiro
05-29-2010, 08:46
"She was using it to loosen the dirt around flowers. "

Arughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

But in the long run, that's probably a 'better' use than the one originally intended.

Nick Riviezzo
05-30-2010, 05:22
Bob, what part of essential bar-b-que tools is it that your wife doesn't understand? Sorry, couldn't resist it! Nick

Bob - The Beagle Master
06-01-2010, 06:05
It's not the "tools". it's the $$$$$. Almost everything she buys is for "us" or it's for the "house". We have two closets that are full of artificial flower arrangements and pictures of every description. None of that is "hers" it's all "ours" and I'll bet that everyone on this forum has a house full of "our" stuff that would actually go in the trash if we could get away with it.

On the other hand, I have all of this "stuff" that's "mine" not "ours". Now there isn't a bayonet on that page that I paid over $40 for when I bought them. I have a file with the info on every bit of my collection and specific instructions on how to dispose of it after I'm gone. I'll bet she'll be a happy camper when she gets the $$$ for that "stuff" after I'm in the happy hunting ground.

John Sukey
06-01-2010, 09:36
Bob, I have a similar story, I got a knife from my brother-in-law that his mother was using to cut weeds in the garden.
A 17th century Wakasashi!
wrappings gone from the hilt, half the sharkskin missing, no menuki, and of course the blade was dirty. Now I am no lover of japanese stuff but I paid $400 to get it restored simply because I couldn't stand to see something that old trashed. Apparently an ancestor was an ambassador and it was a gift to him.

Dan Shapiro
06-01-2010, 10:12
"...everyone on this forum has a house full of "our" stuff that would actually go in the trash if we could get away with it.

Yeah, IF we could get away with it. My father-in-law once 'cleaned the garage' while Mother was gone on a visit for a few days. She didn't speak to him for weeks afterward upon her return. (I often joked to my wife that that was probably want he wanted in the first place!) Note: Wives don't have our sense of humor!

Bob - The Beagle Master
06-02-2010, 06:33
Wives with a sense of humor are called girlfriends. They all seem to lose their sense of humor when they leave the church. In any case, the Indy 1500 Gunshow is this weekend and I should find a new treasure or two to frustrate her with.

John Sukey
06-02-2010, 11:41
Just remember the knicknacks your wife has are extremely valuable while most of your stuff is just old junk.
My mother gave away my WW1 patch collection to the kid across the street while i was in the army. What hurt the most was the 14 foot german stadium banner she also gave him! I bet I could get a good amount of money for that today or even 20 yers ago.

rayg
06-03-2010, 08:26
[QUOTE=Bob - I'll bet she'll be a happy camper when she gets the $$$ for that "stuff" after I'm in the happy hunting ground.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure it will be the "happy" hunting ground, :D, Ray

Bob - The Beagle Master
06-03-2010, 05:47
If all my German Shepherd Dogs are waiting for me it will be. If my first wife is there I'm not going to be happy.