PDA

View Full Version : Sling adjustment question

mdoerner
05-17-2010, 06:35
Hi Guys,

Trying the prone position tonight in the basement, I'm noticing something I've struggled with but haven't mentioned before.

When I am locked into the rifle, whether it's the web sling or leather, and everything is tight, sling high on the left arm, left elbow under the rifle, legs flat, my rifle will be aimed UNDER the black (i.e. I'm shooting under the target). Pulling the sling tighter doesn't make the rifle muzzle go higher, but makes shouldering the butt next to impossible. That's why I have tended to "choke up" with my left hand on the rifle, so I can get on target. But this causes loss of position from shot to shot, as I'm sure I'm not doing exactly the same from shot to shot.

Should I just crank up the sling another notch, or put the sling low on my arm, or is there something else I'm messing up with my position here? Thanks.

Mike Doerner

Ron Foos
05-17-2010, 07:27
This works for me...with your elbows and your sling in your normal position. Move your lower body rearward, get your body flatter on the matt. Stretch out. The butt plate and your shoulder will go down and the muzzle will go up.

Parashooter
05-18-2010, 11:56
http://i46.tinypic.com/18j3va.jpg

This all depends on individual body geometry. If you have short arms and/or a large thorax, it can be hard to get sufficient natural elevation without "choking up" on the forend - a difficult position to maintain consistently. If moving the right elbow away from the body doesn't drop the right shoulder enough to bring the rifle up to natural target elevation, try wearing a skater's elbow pad on the left elbow and/or using a thicker shooting glove.

Serious target rifles are equipped with adjustable handstops to accommodate varying body shapes, but this isn't an option under service-rifle or as-issued rules, so we have to make use of wearable items that are allowed. The NRA high power rules also apply to CMP matches under the provisions of CMP rule 5.1.2 -

3.11 Gloves - Gloves may be worn which do not form an artificial support.
3.12 Padding - Shoulder pads, sling pads and elbow pads may be worn provided they are constructed so as not to provide artificial support.

CMP rule - 5.1.2
Applicable NRA Pistol or High Power Rifle Rules shall apply in all areas that are not covered by CMP Competition Rules.

stars-n-bars
05-18-2010, 12:41
Try not pushing your left hand tight into the sling but bring it back with your elbow a little more vertical. The sling should be pulling your butt into your shoulder.

mdoerner
05-18-2010, 03:36
Thanks again for all your help. I'll try this again tonight.

Mike D

PS If I go the elbow pad route, what constitutes "artificial support"?

Parashooter
05-18-2010, 05:10
PS If I go the elbow pad route, what constitutes "artificial support"?

That's up to the match officers or referee. Generally, if a pad doesn't inhibit normal motion, it's not "support". (Have you downloaded and studied the rule books yet? http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-index.pdf and http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/Rulebook.pdf )

(NRA) 5.2 Artificial Support - Any supporting surface except the ground not specifically authorized for use in the
Rules for the position prescribed. Digging of elbow or heel holes at the firing points which form artificial support for
the elbows, arms, or legs is prohibited. Use of artificial support, including back braces, is prohibited except as
individually authorized by NRA for a physically handicapped shooter.

CMP Shooter
05-19-2010, 06:32
Don't know if you're using a shooting coat or not, but when you mount the rifle and seat the rifle into your shoulder, you should be able to place the butt up or down ever so slightly. Sometimes this is all that is needed to get your natural point of aim where it should be. Much easier and more consistent than moving your left hand back and forth.

Rodd Knox
05-19-2010, 07:20
I just want to know how you got that picture of me. And by the way, my name isn't Large Thorax.

mdoerner
05-20-2010, 07:47
Don't know if you're using a shooting coat or not, but when you mount the rifle and seat the rifle into your shoulder, you should be able to place the butt up or down ever so slightly. Sometimes this is all that is needed to get your natural point of aim where it should be. Much easier and more consistent than moving your left hand back and forth.

I think I'll give that a try as well. I've been so concerned about the cheek-weld thing it didn't occur to me to drop the butt a bit. I'll just have to get my "landmarks" set for this position.

Mike D

John Sukey
06-01-2010, 09:26
Is large thorax another word for FAT BELLY?:icon_wink:

Ron Foos
06-02-2010, 05:28
AKA a food blister